CHAPTER ELEVEN : HIS CRUSH

ANNE POV

It has been a week after the dinner with Nick. Today I am at a cafe’ downtown helping my brothers with their lack of manpowers since their workers take a few days off. Family matters they said.

So then, me and Angeline, and our kind hearts willingly sacrifice our weekends, here in a half full cafe, devoted our charms and smile to each customers. Note the sarcasm.

“A slice of red velvet cake, and an iced americano,” said a customer while rummaging her purse.

I keyed in her order in the monitor, and wait for the receipt, “and here the receipt and your beeper, your order will be served shortly, thank you, miss.”

I said giving my utmost hospitality and of course a huge smile on my face. I look at the woman searching for a waiting table at the corner of the cafe’.

I release a small sigh.

‘I miss my bed.’ I mumbled hopefully no one is hearing.

“Me too,”

I startled, looking to my right. There stood Angeline preparing the order in front of the coffee machine before putting it on a tray and give it to me. She give me a huge grin.

“It's almost over though.” I say, receiving the tray and push the beeper button.

“Yeah, and I can't wait to go back to our dorm, cuddling in my soft blanket and netflix!” she replied with a small jump on her foot.

I chuckled.

“Whatever, Angie. I just want to sleep.” I sigh, looking to the front counter where the woman earlier picking up her order. A few customer leave the cafe’ while I following them behind with my eyesight.

Suddenly the doorbell chime before a few people come in.

“Who the hell coming over, we almost close, shit.” Angeline mumble slowly, not exactly please with the visitors.

I look up at the cafe entrance and smile looking at Nick, and a ….. girl. My smile fade. Nick looked at me, surprised. I guess he did not expect to meet me here, right. Attending to his order and all.

And the girl. She is Stephanie George. His crush and his almost girlfriend, except he never have the chance to ask her for a date. Before.

My heart racing. I think Angeline notice my change of mood because she seem to slow down her work and look at me curiously. She took a look at Nick, confused.

“Hey, Anne.” Nick greeted standing in front of me at the counter.

“Hey, long time no see, Anne.” Stephanie say following Nick along with another guy behind her where I never notice before. Maybe I am too busy thinking and confusing about those two.

“Yeah, Anne. Quite a long time, consider almost three years of your missing. You even missed your graduation, right?” the guy say. I know him. He is Derek. The one that Stephanie cheating with during our prom night. My heart burn.

I never thought I would see them here tonight. Never. This is a thousands miles away from home. It's never even crossed my mind!

I blink a few time. Clueless.

Angeline come over to me before I realise I have been standing there doing nothing. I think I took several minutes standing there looking at each of them even though it must be a few minuscules second.

“Oh yeah, I guess, as long as I finished school it doesn't matter anyway.” I released a huge lump.

“So what's was your order guys.” I say cheekily, hiding my anxiety.

After taking their order, and giving them their beeper. I put on the close sign at the front door and continue to go to the kitchen, preparing to settle down for the night.

I walk slowly looking around the table, checking the chair and rubbish left by the customers before my eyes landing on the last table where the three later visitors sitting.

Kyle Nicholas.

I don't know he is still with Stephanie. Even with Derek amongst them. Look at her, laughing and smiling adorably to him. Suddenly her hand holding Nick’s. My eyes wide open.

Derek on the other hand just look at them. Doesn't he jealous of them? I thought he has something for Stephanie. Derek eyes land on me, I quicken my pace to the back.

“Anne, come join us.” he say. I stopped.

“Maybe later, Der. I am going to close up soon.”

he smile nodded at me. Nick look at me confused while I brushing him of and straight to the kitchen.

I stand against the wall.

Well, so much for running away from the past.

Now it is coming back for me.

I hope they will be leaving soon. The cafe will be close in a few minutes. Suddenly, my phone beeping.

Close up the cafe, and go home. I will be there a little late, don't wait for me.’

My brother, Dean texted. I released my breath I don't know I am holding before reaching for Angeline to tell her to settle down and close up the cafe. She will do what she should do next while I walk over to the office.

I write some notes to Dean before leaving the office. I go to the store room to grab my bag and my jacket before heading to the front door where Angeline already wait for me.

“So, who are they?” Angeline ask as soon as I locked the door.

I shrugged.

Walking on the sidewalk to the nearby post lamp. I look down at my foot while I walk, as if counting my steps.

“She is Stephanie, and the other guy is Derek. They were both my school mates.” I say. Angeline nodded.

“Well, although it is weird. But I think they both got something.” she say. This time I nodded. Nick and Stephanie? Of course they are. They have been complicated since our high school. I guess those ‘something’ had developed.

Silly me. I thought he came back for me. And lucky me I do not put any hope and rush things between us though. Why? Maybe because I am sick of heartbroken. Yeah, that was it.

But why I felt a familiar feeling storming inside me. Why is my mind never at ease thinking of them laughing, touching to each other although Angeline said Derek laugh as much as them too. And why is my mind refuse to agree with Angeline this time?

‘It is called jealousy, you fool,’ I hear myself say. I shake my head in denial, but the building emotion in my mind raging uncontrollably.

Angeline continue mumbling incoherent things. I thought I heard she say customer and Dean, and a little bit of Kyle, and some other name, Nate maybe, but I pay no attention. My mind was wondering elsewhere.

“So, are you in?” she ask suddenly. I stopped walk, looking at her.

“In what?” I ask. She grin hugely holding her hand to the left. I follow her hand. A club?

“Yesssss.” she say excited. I frown. I don't think I am in the mood to drink.

“Come on, Dan. Nate will come join us later.” she say dragging me to the entrance. So, I am not mistaken I heard she said Nate before.

We are at the bar drinking shots when Nate come along a few minutes later. I look up at him, my eyes a little bit blurry.

“Hey Natieeeeeee,” I slurred holding another cup of shot.

Think I am not in the mood to drink, right? Well, guess what? I need to loosen up a little bit.

🌸vote and comment🌸