Chapter 10- Royal Blood

Sarah's POV

I wake up from a little small sunlight getting through the window.

"Sarah you slept in."

"Oh god, I missed riding with Bash." I get dressed with Mary's help and thank her. 

I walk to the stables to see Bash grooming the horse and cleaning it's fur. Bash caught me and walks up to me.

"There you are. You missed our ride this morning."

"I'm sorry. I overslept."

"I hope you weren't up all night worrying again."

"It's just the fact that we've heard no news from the Vatican."

"Will your worrying make the Pope choose to legitimize me any sooner? The Vatican wil come around and when they do, you and I can finally be married. I promise." He takes me into his arms and I sigh.

"That's not all I'm worried about. Your half brothers, Charles and Henry, I see their sad faces around the castle and I realize how hard this must be for them."

"It's awful. I know."

"There's a frost fair in the village this morning. I want to take them, just us three -- just something special to take their minds off their troubles."

He smiles at me lovingly and pulls me closer to him.

"You are so good. So truly good."

He pulls me tighter and kisses me tenderly.
************
Sarah, remaining true to her word, takes the boys to the festival. They are accompanied by many castle guards, who lead them in a horse-drawn carriage.

"Will there be ice-skating?"

"Yes and sleigh-rides and spiced candy and puppet plays. All of the boys and girls from the village will be there!"

"Mother and father don't like us to play with regular children. I wish mother could be there."

"I know."

"Will we see her before she dies?"

"Don't worry about that now. Your mother wants you to be happy. She'll be happier knowing that you've had a lovely day!"

"Get back! All of you!"

"LOOK! It's the Medici princes!"

"This is for Queen Catherine and her lies!"

"Get down! Hide." I told the boys and both of them crawl under their seat, putting their hand over their heads and screams.

This is the worst! Poor Princes, Catherine is going to be mad and furious at me. God help me rule France.
********
Sarah goes to meet with the Queen to tell her what had happened earlier that morning.

"Where are my boys now?"

"Bash is with them."

"I warned you of the unrest that would result in changing the line of succession. Once the Vatican legitimizes Bash, Henry will take off my head. Those boys will be orphans."

"They'll still have their father."

"Hahaha. How much attention do you think they'll get from him as he cavorts with his new bride, Diane? And as for Bash, as soon as he takes power, he will face unrelenting pressure to do away with them."

"I will not allow it. I will take care of them."

"You?"

"Bash as well. We will raise them as they are our own. Despite what you may think, I never intended to harm your family. I just wanted to save Bash and as did you until that attempt you made on his life."