Chapter Two

Yoongi looked like death as he stood in the kitchen, scanning the mail they just received. His eyes were empty as they lacked concentration.

Min Hyunjoo is qualified for a submission in the selection. Please report to the head office of the region to submit and complete your submission if you wish. Good luck.

"What's up?" Jimin yawned and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He waddled his way into the kitchen and stared at Yoongi's stiff form. "You good?"

Yoongi stoically nodded and tossed the letter at Jimin. With a clenched jaw, the boy shuffled over to the stove to begin preparing their breakfast. Their mother left for work about two hours ago.

Jimin's heart got squeezed a bit as he read the letter, "Mom never reported her death."

Min Hyunjoo, Yoongi's twin sister, passed away when she was six from influenza. Even though it had been twelve years since her death, the wound in Yoongi's chest still remained a gaping hole with no fill. Apparently the same could be said about his mother considering she had never reported Hyunjoo's death.

"Yoongi," Jimin spoke softly, "are you okay?"

Yoongi muttered, "I'm fine."

Jimin nibbled on his lower lip, "In that case... you wouldn't mind pretending to be Hyunjoo and entering a submission?"

"What?" Yoongi exclaimed in outrage.

Jimin was quick to defend himself, "Listen, listen! You mentioned it yesterday. We're struggling with money a ton right now. Mom's working well over twelve hours everyday for goodness sakes! You keep getting fired from all your jobs, so why not make it a little easier on us? It couldn't hurt to try. Just enter the contest and see what happens. I doubt you'll get picked, but if you do, maybe we can get some money out of it! Please, Yoongi, we really need it." Jimin's eyes were pleading Yoongi to comprehend.

"I'm out of here," Yoongi turned off the stove and stormed out of their small home.

"Yoongi!" Jimin ran after him to no avail. He exhaled deeply and sadly made his way back to the kitchen to finish preparing his meal. "We really do need it."

-

"You honestly can't be agreeing with him right now," Yoongi shook his head in denial as his mother gently took a hold of his hands in hers.

"Honey-"

"Mom, no- just no," Yoongi nearly shouted. "You can't honestly expect me to do this!"

Jimin sat silently on the floor of the bedroom him and his brother shared. Yoongi's and Yumi's words echoed in his mind.

"Please, it would help us out a lot."

"Mom-"

"Yoongi, I'm dying."

"W-what?"

"I've been working harder than usual because I need the money to buy my medication."

"W-why didn't you tell me? I would have searched harder for a job!"

"I didn't want to worry you and Jimin. Please, honey, just try the submission for us. For me?"

"...fine."

-

"This is a load of- oh hey," Yoongi said as Nayeon walked into his room with Jimin right behind her.

Jimin rolled his eyes, "Nayeon, this is my brother Yoongi. The guy you need to turn into a girl."

Nayeon smiled nervously at Yoongi, "Hi, I'm Nayeon. I'll be doing your makeup and everything else today!"

"Yada yada, we're on bought time here," Yoongi rushed the poor girl along. "Let's hurry this up."

-

"All done!" Nayeon cheered and handed the older boy a mirror. "Take a look at yourself."

Yoongi gaped and touched his face and the wig perfectly in place on top of his head, "Are you a witch?" He then froze and grasped onto his throat. "Wait, what about my voice? No girl has a voice this deep."

"Can't you just... try to make your voice higher?" Nayeon asked. She wasn't exactly sure how to help him out from there.

Yoongi responded dryly, "I don't really think I can do that."

"Don't be rude," Jimin scolded. "Here, don't worry about the voice. I already have something to take care of that." He then pulled out a small object out of his pocket and walked over to his sibling. "When I put this on your Adam's apple, it'll change your voice into your suited feminine voice. It automatically disappears and hides your Adam's apple from everyone. I made this a bit ago from stolen objects."

"You were stealing-"

"That's not important!" Jimin gave him a tightlipped smile. "What's important is that this invention will save your life. I'm going to put it on now, okay? Try not to freak out too much."

Yoongi gulped and watched as Jimin placed the unknown object onto his throat. The object clicked into place and immediately disappeared as said. Nayeon stared in amazement at her best friend. He really was an amazing inventor waiting to become successful.

"Okay, say something, Yoongi," Jimin whispered anxiously.

Yoongi being the cheeky shit he was said, "Something." He then squeaked at the sound of his own voice. It was gentle and smooth, but most importantly, it was about three octaves higher than it normally is. "Holy shit, my voice is even higher than Jimin's, which I thought was impossible!"

Jimin frowned and hit his arm, "I will slap you."

"Wait! Don't do that!" Nayeon intervened and stood in between the two males. "I just got him all ready, and even you, Min Jimin, can not mess it up before he goes to finish his submission."

Jimin warily looked at his friend, "Alright. I'll stand down. For now."

Yoongi swallowed his retort and spun around. He had to finish the submission.