Explanation

So, I came to the realization that some of you may not know what the heck the selection is and just find the concept of this story interesting enough to read. (Which I'm very glad you do *wipes happy tears*)

In that case, I have done you all the honor of explaining what this all is. So if you already know what it is, feel free to skip this section. If you don't know what it is (or you just want a refresher), I recommend that you read this. Highly.

First, the Selection is in a way a decoy or play on something like the Bachelor. If you know the show The Bachelor or The  Bachelorette, it's pretty much the same process.

So the setting in the actual Selection is this utopian kingdom named Illea. (Don't ask about pronunciation because I always forget.) The whole utopian world is kind of in a place after an ultimate war in the United States of America. There are 35 provinces (or states, I can't remember what they're called in the series right now), in Illea. I honestly don't remember any of them, so I just made up names.

There eight castes in Illea. A caste is like the level you are in. Castes are the levels or social class in the utopian world of The Selection. The first caste is for like royals. The second caste is for like celebrities (?) The third caste is for rich people. The fourth caste is kind of the middle-class type of people. It's been a long time since I read the selection series, so I can't remember too many specifics. But I feel like the fourth caste might have also been the farmers. I honestly don't remember. There's the fifth caste that's all the artist type of people. Singers, painters, sculptures, etc. The sixth caste I believe is all the people who clean up after the royals and rich people and all. They're like maids, butlers, all that jazz. I honestly can't remember what the seventh caste was, oops, but they're lower than the sixth caste. The eighth caste is pretty much the homeless people. The higher your caste, the "wealthier" and more "powerful" you are. The lower you get on the castes, the "less" you are.

I might have gotten some of the caste specifics mixed up, to be honest. But you get the system. The lower you go, the worse it is for you.

You are born into your caste, and the only way to change your caste is to marry into it. I think you marry into whichever caste the guy is in. (I know, there really wasn't any gay stories mentioned in the story.) That may be wrong as the story isn't as fresh in my memory, which I've mentioned before.

Anyways, most girls marry in their own caste or higher, they hardly ever marry lower unless they're in lower castes- which I believe they all kind of don't care as much as the higher castes do, but they still do care- or are truly in love with the person. It's a common thing for parents to encourage their children to marry someone "in their own caste" or "in a higher caste."

Sorry that I've been babbling about the whole caste system for so long, I just think things would work out a whole lot more smoothly if you understood it. Okay, so now we can get onto what the heck the selection is.