Chapter Sixteen

"Hi," someone whispered into Yoongi's ear.

The boy gruffed some half-assed phrase and shifted a bit away from the person, definitely still asleep. The person did not let this get the best of them though. No, they went for another attempt.

"Hyunjoo~" they sang. Their fingers lightly weaved their way through his actual hair.

Yoongi felt the soft tugs on his locks and cracked an eye open to see Dahyun beaming down at him.

"What the fuck?" Yoongi grunted as he rolled himself back to the point where he fell off the opposite side of the bed.

Dahyun cocked her head to the side like a confused puppy, "Did I scare you, unnie?"

Yoongi froze, hand on his throat. SHIIIIIIT, WHERE IS JIMIN'S DEVICE??? The older stopped for a second to think. When he got back from the kitchens earlier this morning, he went into the washroom and just pulled everything off then left it there. Oh god, all the shit he needed was behind Dahyun.

So, Yoongi went with his last resort. He forced himself to speak in a squeaky, high-pitched voice.

"Uh- yeah, a lot, actually," Yoongi tried to respond.

Dahyun frowned and jumped on the bed. She crawled towards Yoongi until her head peeked over the edge. Yoongi spotted her saddened expression and couldn't help but feel a strong urge to get the girl smiling again. Oof, Yoongi actually has a heart.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," Dahyun mumbled quietly, fidgeting with her fingers.

Yoongi sighed deeply and watched as Dahyun's body tensed at the sound, "It's all good in the hood. We're all down in the town. We're all litty in the city. We're all-"

"Yay!" Dahyun shouted as she clapped enthusiastically. "I'm glad we're still friends!"

Yoongi had to refrain from cringing outwardly, but deep down, like deep deep down, like really deep deep DEEP down, Yoongi felt happiness swirl within him at Dahyun's returning smile.

Dahyun, the ever-energized chipmunk, bounced a bit on the bed and then giggled whilst reaching a hand out to Yoongi's hair, "I didn't know you wore wigs, unnie! Your natural hair is really nice."

Yoongi felt himself get a tad bit flustered at the sight of the young girl twirling her fingers in his locks. He hesitantly pulled at her wrist and smiled wryly, "Yeah, um, please don't touch my hair."

"Why?" Dahyun pouted and stretched her fingers until they brushed his baby hairs. She then giggled, "Does it tickle you?"

Yoongi's face contorted, "What? No. I'm not ticklish."

Dahyun hummed, "Everyone's ticklish."

"Well, I'm not."

"Sure thing, unnie."

Yoongi groaned and pulled Dahyun's hand away fully, "You just wouldn't understand." He then set the younger's arm down on his bed. "How did you even get dragged into this competition anyway?"

Dahyun smiles shyly, "My mom told me it was my duty as a woman to apply."

Yoongi scoffed and glowered, "Duty my ass. You should have applied if you wanted to. Did you even want to apply?"

"I-..." Dahyung stopped herself from responding and let her smile drop. For a split second, Yoongi swore he saw true sadness in the girl before she covered it up again with a bright smile. "Of course I did!"

Yoongi narrowed his eyes at her, "You know, it's okay if you didn't."

"But I did," Dahyun replied. She nodded to herself, fiddling about with her fingers. "I do want to be here."