The Flip Side

Back at the tower, however, things weren't half as jovial. The Avengers functioned effectively, still fighting all that's bad in the world, never wanting to return home in fear of the maddening silence.

Tony had retreated himself to the lab. Entirely. Someone would see him once every few days. They would ask him how was he feeling. He would say he was fine. Lies.

Steve went through three punching bags a week, minimum. Natasha found solace in learning new techniques to disable the enemy. Clint had brought about an abrupt halt to his pranks. Shooting targets was never the same for Sam. Wanda still had nightmares about the things she had seen and heard in the vastness of your mind.

The only person who seemed chipper was Bucky, on very fair grounds that he had no memory of you whatsoever.

"Hey, anyone up to go to that new sushi place that opened up? Exciting, isn't it? To eat raw fish? And then get food poisoning?" Bucky was sure at least four people heard his question but the answer came only from Steve. "It's been a long day, Buck."

"Yes it's been a long day everyday for three years!" Bucky whined, "You all are boring. I was better off at Hydra."

His words initiated a new train of thought for Steve. Had it really been three years? The memories still manifested his mind like it had happened minutes ago.

There he was, still reeling from your rather dramatic loss. He felt Natasha holding him, but he wasn't sure anymore. Tony's broken form was still on the floor, Steve could only imagine how he felt. Sam, Wanda and Clint had been informed about everything that had transpired and Wanda claimed to have seen the end in your head.

It was an hour after your death that Bucky woke up. Sam and Dean had left already, determined to never return again. He surveyed his surroundings with a worried expression and with a subtle nod of his head, summoned Steve to a corner of the hall.

Steve steeled himself. He couldn't be weak, not now. He went over to his friend, trying not to think of his reaction when he would tell him about your passing.

Once Bucky had Steve in a secluded corner he looked around, as if to make sure no one could overhear this conversation and then proceeded to ask, "What is going on? Why is everyone acting like...I don't know, like someone just died?"

Steve's blue eyes turned into slits. His mind did a double take. "What? Buck, what is the last thing you remember?"

"Well, um, I remember waking up this morning and hearing Wilson having a fight with someone over...pie? And then I remember waking up here." Bucky shrugged.

It took him a while to figure out but eventually Steve understood that you had taken back every memory of yourself from Bucky. He still didn't know how to feel about that.

"Alright, I'm sorry! This place is obviously better than Hydra. Stop looking at me like that!" Bucky's defensive remark snapped Steve out of his thoughts and made him aware of the fact that he had been staring incessantly at his friend without realising it. "Sorry bud, I got...I got a little distracted there."

"Yeah, while you do that I'm gonna go check on Stark." Bucky stood up, "What even was the last time he ate? Tuesday?"