Differential Differences

Having been flying fruitlessly in the New York sky for over fifteen minutes, your eyes sparkled when you found the building you were looking for - The Avengers Tower.

Not willing to cause much disruption, you permeated through a glass window instead of opting for a door. The inside of the building was minimalistically illuminated, making the halls look dark and the corners darker.

'Wow, this place is bat shit scary.' You thought. 'Why is no one around?' Then it dawned on you. In your all consuming, adrenaline fueled rush of discovering, you didn't even know what you were supposed to discover, you had expertly overlooked the fact that it was 2:30 a.m.

"No wonder no one's around." You groaned. As much logic as returning back held within its periphery, your mind wouldn't allow it. You had come too far and now if you needed to wake someone up in the middle of the night to get answers, then so be it.

A slight sound, rustling of clothes to be precise, echoed in the hollow silence, immediately putting you on edge. The sound of footsteps followed until a tall blond man with sparkly  blue eyes emerged from the darkness.

"(Y/N)?" It was Steve's voice, if only you could recognise it. But you did recognise the face.

"Captain Rogers, right?" You walked over to him, very nervous and very fidgety, "I know it's late and you were probably sleeping, but now that you're here I need you to tell me everything you know about (Y/N)."

Steve's mouth opened and then closed again on its own accord. He wasn't sure if there were degrees of being speechless but if there were, he had just topped the charts.

"Let's get you inside first." He ushered you to the safest place he could think of at the moment - his room, a constant fear of FRIDAY announcing your arrival in the building bubbling in his head, which, he didn't know why the thought scared him so much. Everyone else had just as much right to know you were here, if not more. He figured it was primal protective instinct taking over.

"So, (Y/N)?" You asked as soon as you were inside, adamant on getting the answers hoping for them to subdue the dull ache in your head which had most likely arisen out of apprehension.

"What do you want to know?" Steve might not have known precisely what was going on but recent events had provided him with a rough idea. If he were to venture a guess, he'd say that through some turn of events you had no memory of him or the team or yourself as (Y/N) for reasons he couldn't even begin to make sense of.

Steve had drifted off into the land of his happy memories despite the trying circumstance. "She was a lovely person. Also, moody. Very moody. One moment she'd be talking to you like it's Sunday afternoon and the next she'd be at your throat. But she had a way about her. She did things because they were right and would always put others before herself. You could just look at her face and feel all your troubles wash away. Her voice..."

"You loved her, didn't you?" You blurted out before you could once think of the consequences. Steve's face blanched of all colour.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be intrusive. I'm an empath, among other things, and I felt this overwhelming wave of affection wash over me." You apologised, obviously embarrassed to have jumped in on the love life of a man you barely knew, "But I just felt how you felt...feel about her."

"Maira," It physically hurt Steve to call you by that  name. "You are (Y/N)."

Momentarily, the world seemed to have stopped spinning. Your first inclination was to laugh off what Steve had just said,  but his grave expression prima facie let you know that he was not jesting. Neither was he in the mood to.

"No. No, I'm Maira. You must be mistaken. I have been Maira for as long as I can remember." At that point, you didn't know whether it was Steve whom you were trying to convince, or yourself.

"And how long is that?" Steve challenged.

"How long? For my entire life! Although there was this accident three years ago and I don't remember anything from before..." Your eyes went wide as you trailed off. Insides completely in knots, your hand pressed against the glass of the window and your head turned to look at your very welcome escape. "I have to go."

Steve reached forward and grabbed your hand, now very much regretting his decision to bluntly tell you the truth.

"Steve, I have to go." You slowly pulled your hand away, knowing for a fact that the man was not lying. "This is just a little too much for me to process right now. I will be back, don't worry. I promise."

Intertwining your fingers with his, you leaned in to kiss him on the cheek, your lips slightly brushing against the corner of his mouth. You might not remember anything from before, but the man was in love with you, that must have counted for something. Steve couldn't help but smile.

He felt warm inside as he watched you fly away to wherever it was that you lived.

'Damn it, I forget to ask her where she lives!'

-

Sam was more than surprised to see you out and about this early in the morning. You were an even more passionate sleeper than Dean.

"Good morning." He greeted.

You assessed Sam's appearance, top to bottom, and concluded that he ought to have just woken up. That was a relief.

"Mornin'."