Trouble at the Door

"Here is a scrupulous list of the top geneticists in the country. All we have to do is figure out which of them is Hydra." Clint almost threw the file across the room. Thankfully, it landed on the table and not on someone's face.

"It's the woman with the red hair, pale skin, green eyes and freckles." Tony recited without once looking up to meet anyone's eyes. His hunched demeanor was communicating his state of mind when he had refrained from putting it verbally. "I can see it now - Iron Psychic: Sculptor of the Century." The Falcon announced from the back of the room.

Bucky remembered the profile of the woman Tony had just described. He leaned across the table to pull the file closer to him and flipped through it until he found the page he was looking for. "That's her." He jabbed a finger at the picture, "Theresa Diamond. Tony, I personally went through this file to see if I could recognize anyone from Hydra but no one seemed remotely familiar. How are you so sure?"

"How do you think, Terminator? That's what she looked like when she was inside my head." Tony hadn't meant to snap like that, but Bucky's prying had pushed his emotional turmoil over the edge.

"Theresa Diamond, in fact, has been Abyzma's vessel ever since she embarked her endeavor on earth. She provided Abyzma with detailed information about the workings of human DNA and how to modify it into demonic entities." Crowley's appearance behind Steve was unexpected to such a degree that the super soldier screamed at the top of his lungs, launched out of his seat and backed away from the demon as far as the dimensions of the room allowed him. "Holy shit!" He squalled between laboured breaths.

"Damnit, Sam! I asked you to ward the tower!" Dean found the panic stricken Captain to be hilarious. Part of him wanted to sit back and enjoy the scene unfold but he was also aware that the easy way out could also land him in all sorts of trouble. Hence, he decided to go with the rational reaction.

To his brother, however, nothing seemed funny. He was fidgeting with his long locks, his shirt, his fingers; anything within his immediate range of touch. "I was busy." Sam answered, no stranger to his mistake.

"Doing what?" At this point, Dean was entertaining himself at his brother's expense. "Every time I look, you're either fawning over Stark from a distance or fiddling with his stupid tech. No offense, Tony." He added, so as not to invoke the wrath of a certain billionaire who seemed to have woken up that morning raging with petulance.

"Offense taken." Tony casually chimed in. "Miss me the next time you need a vintage part for your '67 Chevy."

Clint had employed all his senses into observing the room. He understood that almost everyone was apprehensive in some way, shape or form but that was no excuse to suppress his questions. "Is that why you blew the facility up, Stark? Because Abyzma was in your head?" Also, he was annoyed.

"He blew up the facility because he had realized that the demonic transformation was irreversible. An incurable disease, if you will. Abyzma threatened him with the fact but this man turned the tables on her. I had been trying to hint you in on the fact, yet some people are too bloody dense." Crowley turned to Steve with a pleased smile. "Yes, there is a reason I scared you."

"We are deterring from the subject." Wanda made the room glow red, albeit momentarily, to secure everyone's attention. "Do we bring in this Theresa Diamond?"

"You could. Pray tell, what means do you have to contain a demon?" Crowley asked in ridicule.

"He's right. We have to separate this mumbo jumbo crap so we're dealing with Hydra and Hydra alone. Now, I don't trust either of you, something about all that plaid keeps throwing me off." Sam pointed towards the Winchester duo, "Where's (Y/N)?" Bucky's face contorted in thought. "Haven't seen her since this mornin'."

"It's nice, isn't it? Don't get me wrong. Personally, I love the woman but she does bring down the temperature of the room." Crowley put his hands together with a loud clap. Steve finally found it in himself to sit down without being surrounded by dangerous uncertainty. "We are not making small talk." He firmly stated.

Crowley clenched his jaw. However, he did not let it become apparent over his smile. "Fair enough. What you idiots have managed to do is attack and obliterate the mothership, along with everyone inside. There are still a few left from her mutiny, nothing I can't handle. Abyzma, so to speak, is now a cornered animal. She will be making her last desperate attempt at success which, regardless of its inevitable futility, will imperil all of you."

"A last desperate attempt? Like what?" As if in answer to Wanda's question, the lights in the room flickered twice before going out completely. The backup power kicked in almost immediately but the illumination wasn't up to par.

"Wait, is this her?" Dean's senses were on full alert. Crowley smiled in tacit agreement before disappearing from the building. "Toodles!"

-

A meeting had been called, something about geneticists working for Hydra, which you had purposely ignored. The conversation with Tony yesterday had left you dangling between hysteria and extreme trepidation, fearing you had made a promise you might never make good on.

Your heart had been poured out to Steve, regarding your unwillingness to prolong your stay any more than was absolutely required. The reasoning was simple - you were terrified of disappointing Tony. Every time he looked at you, some memory or the other was always reflecting in his eyes which evaded your remembrance.

Bringing your hands together as golden waves danced around them, you swiftly pulled them away, consequently ripping apart one of the two training bots coming at you. Having done that, you took flight, getting as close to the ceiling as possible and struck your out. Curling your fingers in turn crashed the second admist golden mist. "Nat, I believe I asked for advice." You asked as your feet touched the ground.

"Yeah and I believe I said 'Why me? Are you out of your mind?'" Natasha stared blankly into your golden eyes.

You walked up to the bench she was seated on until her face was leveled with your stomach and pulled her plush against it in what was intended to be a hug. "Because you look like someone who has wisdom to pass on. Pass it on. Enlighten me."

"Let go! The sequins are piercing my face!" Natasha struggled away after being assaulted by your ornate waistband. She, to all intents and purposes, did not want to get involved but the helpless look on your face voided that option. "Look, (Y/N), when it comes to you and Tony, I was biased way back when and I am biased now. You've known each other for a week and you already care about him enough to put your life on the line. Why are you so focused on remembering the past when you could start anew? What's the worst that could happen?"

"Tony could spend his entire life waiting relentlessly for something to happen which never will. He would expect me to remember my baggage and I'm almost certain I won't!" You threw your hands in the air.

Natasha seized the opportunity and grabbed your hand to hoist herself up. "(Y/N), I can't tell you what to or not to do with your life but is it possible that you are projecting your fears onto Tony so you have anyone but yourself to blame for everything that happens after you leave?"

Natasha was due for a snarky remark from your side and definitely would have got one if it wasn't for the sudden blackout. When the lights came back on, they were dimmer than before. "Something is wrong. The tower runs on self sustainable energy. We never lose power." Natasha said with an air of foreboding.

"It's her. Abyzma's here. We have to warn the others." Your eyes lit up in gold momentarily for you to come to that conclusion. Natasha wasted no time in ushering you to the exit. "What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

"Hey Nat?"

"Yeah (Y/N)?"

"You're not that great at giving advice."