Forging a Legacy

The knock on the door came so unexpected, it almost caused you to drop your engagement ring which had been the subject of your relentless gaze for a good while. Thankfully, you caught it in time and quickly pocketed it before granting easement. "Come in."

"...IS NOT FUNNY! I ONLY CAME WITH ONE PAIR OF SHOES, DEAN. IF YOU..."

The sound of the younger Winchester screaming his lungs off penetrated into the room in the short time during which Steve opened the door, entered inside and closed it behind him. It made sense, him being there. It was his room after all wherein you had taken refuge, having no place in the tower to really call your own now that Tony was up and moving.

"Is that Sam I hear yelling outside?" It was the first thing that had made you laugh since the day had begun and keeping it in was bordering on impossible. Sam Winchester wasn't necessarily known was outwardly expressions of rage, especially directed at his brother of all people.

Steve shuffled around for a bit before sitting down next to you. "Yeah, the guy's weirdly strung up about losing a shoe. I'd say all that packing he's been doing is getting to his head but with their history, who knows what's up."

The silence that took over was awkward. Steve waited for you to say something, to keep the conversation flowing, but you seem to have got lost in your train of thoughts. When you did not snap back, he decided to make his own contribution. "I can't believe you're really leaving."

Steve's voice was at the edge of trembling, that did not escape your notice. One look into his baby blues and you had to fight to suppress the transferred urge to cry. "Kinda don't have a choice." You gave a plain answer.

"Oh come on, (Y/N)! Don't do me like that. Even though outrageously arbitrary, it's a choice and you made it!" Not only was Steve dismal, he was also feeling a tinge of anger simmering within at your sheer lack of attempt to salvage the situation in any way whatsoever and running away instead.

Unknowingly or not, Steve had poked a nerve and he was going to suffer your wrath as a consequence. "Don't come at me claiming to have the moral high ground when you damn well know things wouldn't be half as complicated as they are if it weren't for you!"

"I'm...sorry. That was....out of line." Only after the heat had abandoned your temples did you realize you had stood up to emphasize your point in your little fit of fury. Considering the accusation you had hailed at Steve, going back and sitting next to him seemed wrong, somehow. "What do you want me to say, Steve? I'm not scared of being with him. Hell, I'm not scared of never remembering what's gone but there are these feelings inside me with no context....they are a void and Tony is the stimulus. I'm afraid the combination will eat me alive."

"So you're not afraid to feel and you're not afraid to not remember." Steve tugged on your arm and you plopped on the bed like a sack of rice, "You just want to remember how you used to feel."

"Cross my heart and hope to die - that made sense!" You slapped Steve's arm, maybe a little too hard, judging by his scrunched up face which quickly smoothed out as he turned ninety degrees to the left, putting his feet up and inching closer to you to introduce you to his brainchild. "That's brilliant, (Y/N)!"

"Don't blame me if I don't agree outright."

"What? No." Steve placed his hands on your knees, almost jumping in excite. "Remember when you sensed my feelings towards you the first time you came here as Maira? Like I said before, I have felt what you and Tony had in excruciating detail. You can get that off of me. Boom, problem solved!"

"And then there's that." You groaned, running your hands over your face. "I can't live here knowing how you feel about me. The sheer amount of pain you will be in will hollow me out from the inside. I can't."

"How is this about me?" Steve sensed a heavy feeling in his chest as he carried on the conversation. He figured it was because this was his first time ever facing consequences and the taste was bitter. "The last time something like this happened, the thing that held me back was the realization that people know me for me truthfulness, valor and dignity. I don't want my legacy to be that of a saboteur. Please don't take my redemption away from me, (Y/N). Let me purge."

"Look at me, (Y/N). Don't give me that face, just, please look at me." When his pleas went disawoved, Steve resorted to physically steering your head to look into his eyes; a single look at which made you shudder. "I want to see you happy and as much as I want to be the person who does that for you, it's clear that I'm not. It's Tony, you know that. As far as my feelings are concerned, I can love you in all different ways, yeah? I can be your emotional support, I can be your guardian, as if you need one, and I can be the person you can always fall back on."

A little smile crept up on the corner of your lips, which relieved Steve to such an extent that it caused him to slip up, resulting in him uttering words which were better left unvoiced. "And besides, both you and I are going to live longer than Stark. Who knows what will happen."

Your body regained its rigidity and you retracted yourself away from Steve, staring at him in sheer inequity. Berating himself mentally, he quickly set out to mend the situation. "No, (Y/N). It was a joke. It was a lame joke and I take the blame. Now, let's get this over with." Steve placed your fingers at his temples, being aware of the bare know-how of the way your hexes worked.

If you went through with this, it would change not only your life, or Steve's, but everyone's. "Are you sure you want to do this?" You asked, positioning your hands correctly.

Steve's heart skipped a beat as he remembered the first time he had met you - at your door, which you had slammed in his face - along with every other moment he had cherished with you up until now. That brought a smile to his face. "Positive."