Match Made in Hell

Ever since he was a small boy from Brooklyn, Steve had a terrible habit of thinking after acting. Conforming to that past, here he was, thinking, after his attempt to keep his knowledge about you a secret had failed. He had made the same mistake with Bucky, and even then the one who had taken the most damage was Tony.

His thoughts were rather rudely brought to a hault when an armoured fist collided with his jaw, leaving behind a high pitched ringing in his ears.

"How long were you expecting to carry out this deranged plan of yours? Keeping (Y/N) a secret? Congratulations Steve, you just hit a new low." He barely registered Tony's enraged voice.

Steve's body tensed up on reflex, giving off a false impression that he was going to retaliate, leaving Bucky with barely enough reaction time. Immediately looping his arms over Steve's shoulders from behind, he pulled him away, creating a safe distance between him and Tony. Reading the situation, Wanda intricately moved her fingers, creating a red aura around Tony, restricting his movements.

"Come on, cut it out. This is not going to solve anything!" Mad as she was at Steve for what he'd done, Natasha was not looking for a fight. She hadn't excelled at choosing sides the first time it had happened.

"Solving things? Rogers' been playing playing fast and loose with the concept ever since he decided to hide my fia-" Tony was robbed of all words when a familiar trenchcoated angel appeared in the room, uninvited and very confused. "What are you doing here?" He asked on  everyone's behalf.

Castiel remained nonchalant toward the quickly descending situation, but was polite enough to reply. "By no means did I intend to interrupt your argument. I was merely looking for Maira. Please, continue as you were."

Up until now, Sam had been hoping that the appearance of an unearthly cosmic being who had been around since the beginning of time would be distraction enough to stabilise the situation. Upon hearing Cas' curt reply, he was more than a little disgruntled. "This is a gigantic universe. Why are you right here?"

"Like I said, I am searching for Maira." Castiel's predicament escalated. "It has always been in my understanding that humans are a primitive species with their miniscule brains and short life spans. Despite that, I believe I was quite clear."

The air in the room was saturated with tension to such an extent that a metaphorical spark could cause a chain of combustion. That was when you crossed the threshold, having been alerted by FRIDAY about Tony punching Steve sqaure in the face.

"What in the ever living hell is happening here?" You raced over to Tony and proceeded to shake his wrist violently until he dismantled the gauntlet. Wanda saw it as an appropriate time to drop her force field. Once you had a firm grip on Tony's hand, you let your eyes wander, only to land on Cas. "Why are you here?"

"I should be asking you that question." Castiel's monotone voice was laced with worry. "You had been gone a long time so Dean asked me to find you. This is the last place I'd look for you, Maira. This is the last place I did look!"

Strangely enough, the thought of Sam and Dean being absolutely livid about your visit to New York had crossed your mind, and yet that of them being overstrung about your lasting disappearance had not. "I'm sorry, it was not my intention to cause distress." You apologised, "As to why I'm here, Cas, is because I know. Cat's out of the bag."

Castiel's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "I...I don't understand. Did you domesticate a feline? Which, if you did, you should name it Sir Issac Caton. Unless it's a female-"

"No, Cas, there is no cat. It's an idiom. What I meant was that I'm here because I know about this!" You held out the ring you had been holding with one hand and Tony's hand with the other.

"Oh."

In all the years that you had known him, of which you were now certain were more than two, you had never seen Castiel at such an utter loss of words. The pain quickly became unbearable and you decided to decentralise the attention by asking a question. "Now, your turn. Why are you here?"

Castiel looked around hesitantly, as if unwilling to divulge the information he had in front of so many ears. "There has been a grave development in the case you are currently pursuing." He finally said.

"What happened?" When no answer came, you sensed your friend's dubiety. "Look, Cas, if you're worried about making these people uncomfortable, never mind. They've met Crowley, summoned him out of their own free will."

"Actually, it wasn't so much as our collective free wills as it was Stark's." Sam clarified.

"Okay then." Castiel still witheld the demonic information. "Kunal Malik's dead."

"Wow."

"Damn it!"

You and Clint exclaimed at the same time which you found odd and decided to addressed such oddity. "Why are you so upset?"

"It's nothing. Malik was part of a pattern we were investigating." Clint deflected. Much to your annoyance, addressing the oddity had it worse. Now things made even less sense. "Since when do you investigate demon cases?" You asked.

"It is not a demon case."

"I'm sorry, did you not see me physically chase one out of Malik's office the other day?" You were ready with another question, mostly because of the anxiety building up in your chest.

The room fell silent and several heads turned to look at each other. The day in question - your appearance had been its highlight, entirely overshadowing the sighting of a black, foul smelling, smoky entity. Only now had someone pointed it out, unfortunately that someone being you.

"(Y/N), if you've been on this case I assume you know about the money? The untraceable transactions?" Tony inferred your nod as the signal to go on, "Every single penny went to Hydra."

Your mouth hung open. Granted you did not have as comprehensive knowledge of Hydra as an Avenger would, you had read about it while researching Steve on the internet. In simpler terms, you knew they weren't fighting the good fight.

"Cas, we are going to need to bring Sam and Dean in on this." You solemnly stated. "There's a lot more at play than what meets the eye."