Sceptic Much?

"So what else can you tell me about (Y/N)...um...me?" You were still getting used to the idea of being this entirely different person with entirely different life experiences, relying on only one person to tell you about which, because you had no memory of it.

"Let's see." Steve liked these riveting meetings with you, so much so that he had not allowed himself to even think about the ethical guidelines he was violating by keeping them a secret. "You once yelled at me in Walmart for complaining about the prices."

"I did not!" You gasped, embarrassment evident on your cheeks.

"I swear!" Steve laughed. He paticularly liked these meetings because he could paint the incidents any colour he liked. Not necessarily lying, no. Just choosing not to disclose certain parts of the truth. As of now, you knew more about your rapport with him and infinitesimal details about the team.

His situation with you was like a child finding a secret hiding spot behind the bushes all the way on the other side of the park about which he was scared to tell anyone because that would take the magic away. That would mean it was no longer his.

"And once you taught me how to drive by just 'giving me the ability' and forcing me to drive point blank by tricking me into thinking we were going to get hit by a truck!" Steve launched into another fit of laughter.

For you, however, it wasn't half as funny. "I sure was a terrible person."

Steve's laughter continued, that was until he realised you hadn't meant it in that way. Your face orchestrated a melancholic expression and your eyes seemed to have found some true interest in the floor.

"Okay how about this?" He shifted closer to you, taking your hands in his. "You healed my friend. He was in very bad shape and you barely knew him. Everyone tried to stop you, even I did, because it jeopardised your life, but you did it. Because it was the right thing to do. You saved a life."

You smiled. It felt nice. Steve was smiling too. You could feel his thumb rubbing gentle circles on the back of your palm. The air in the room suddenly shifted. Your faces were merely inches away from each other. His gaze flickered between your eyes and your lips, then settled on your eyes again.

You debated closing the gap. Granted you didn't feel anything, on the grounds that you didn't remember anything; you figured intimacy would bring back some memories, just like it would in a fairytale. Bracing yourself for the leap of faith, you leaned in.

"Hey Steve, I was trying to open the refrigerator and the door came off. I think Stark is going to be very..." Bucky's interjecting voice jolted you back into reality and made you pull away. The man himself stopped short, very aware of the fact that he had just walked in on a situation that was best left alone.

"I didn't realise he had company. Sorry. I'm Bucky." Sure he felt bad about interrupting his friend's moment, but he would never miss a chance to meet the special girl.

"Maira. Have we met?" It was an unusual question to ask, although in the light of recent circumstances no one was in a position to judge.

"Seeing as you're not a hundred years old, I think I'd remember if we had."

You laughed, even though the joke went completely over your head solely because you saw Steve do the same, which, for the fact, conveyed more discomfiture than anything else.

And Steve knew why. He had just been relieved of making the introduction in an already complicated affair he had a huge part in complicating which to begin with. Much to his relief, Bucky and you together had managed to make head and tail of situation which lacked precisely those.

Bringing your attention back to Bucky, you realised his energy was familiar. The vibes he radiated felt cordial. Hoping not to be too invasive, you decided to take a closer look and no sooner than you did, you regretted the decision.

The nervous laughter made sense. You had seen your own energy floating around in Bucky's head which wasn't possible unless you had met him before and you knew the man wasn't lying. A single possibility remained - there was something even Steve was not telling you and you were determined to find out.