A Dreadful Surprise

"I am going to go ahead and ask this because no one else is. What is happening? Where are we going? And why wasn't a briefing called?" Sam Wilson asked you five minutes into the flight.

"Damn it, I knew I was forgetting something!" You mumbled to yourself. Sam was still looking at you expectantly and so was the rest of the team, ergo you decided to give them a briefing right there, right then. "Crowley provided a location on Abyzma, the last place his demons tracked her down to. That's where we are headed."

Natasha stared at you dubiously, for long enough to make it uncomfortable. "That is all you're basing this on? No attacks, no activity, just somewhere someone saw her?"

"Anything can sound stupid when you say it like that." Tony exited the cockpit, letting FRIDAY take over. His words weren't directed at you and yet this was the most conversation that had taken place between the two of you in the last two days.

Dean also came to your rescue. "Listen, demons are not like your average missions. They are a whole different ballgame. Finding them when they don't want to be found is near about impossible and that is why we are going to exhaust every lead we get."

"Sounds debilitating." Wanda offered her two cents. The younger Winchester merely shrugged his shoulders. "Welcome to our world."

Steve assembled everyone one last time before heading into the field. "Alright, team, the jet is landing as we speak. Below us is an abandoned Hydra base and we have zero clue of what we're walking into here. Stay on your defense at all times. Remember, Bucky is waiting for us back at the tower and we want to get home safe and sound, all in one piece."

"What if one of those modified demons comes at us? What do we do then?" Clint asked a very valid question. You idly tossed your scepter from one hand to the other, thinking it over. "Crowley said if they play to human strengths, they must have human weaknesses. I still haven't figured any of that out."

Before Clint had a chance to snap at you, he looked like he definitely would, FRIDAY announced the jet landing and opening of the doors. Dean checked his specialty weapons before heading to the exit. "I guess we'll find out."

He had barely taken two steps when he was harshly pulled to the side by the Falcon. "We've been made." Sam informed, gesturing to the building with his eyes. He was correct, a very subtle yet conspicuous commotion had erupted in the lower level of the establishment. A hazy figure of a man was quickly striding in the direction of the jet.

Sam, the other Sam, in an attempt to salvage the situation, aligned his gun and fired a demon trap bullet - which essentially was a regular bullet with a demon trap carved into it; a brilliant idea to immobilise demons from a distance. The effort, however, massively failed when the target brushed off the bullet wound and continued on its path.

"That is one of the hybrids, yes?" Wanda's calm, composed tone acted as a veil to her alarm. Clint, on the other hand, was blindly fiddling with the controls in a race against time to barr entry before the malicious entity could get on board. "I did not sign up for this!"

As the doors closed just in the nick of time, the hybrid ungracefully slammed into the heavy metal and collapsed, all of it happening on the outside.  The team waited for any movement but when everything was as silent as stone, Clint allowed the opening of the doors without any volition, only to find the hybrid on the ground, passed out cold.

"There you have it." Tony announced his assessment. "Until we come to a more permanent solution, if one of those things come at you, hit them really hard on the head. Now move, move, move, come on!"

Tony flew out of the jet and the rest of the team followed. As expected, the Avengers had been spotted. The same compound which seemed to be abandoned earlier was now crawling with humans, demons and their mixed variety alike; their profound belief in the Hydra cause holding them together.

The team had been actively engaged in combat and that included you, hence a good few minutes passed before you processed the gravity of the situation. Using your vantage point of altitude, you scanned the surroundings for Wanda and found her holding a goon captive admist red wisps emerging from her fingers until he passed out. 'Attagirl.'

"Wanda!" You had to scream in order to be audible over the clamour. "These are not all hybrids, there are demons here! I need you to make sure no one gets possessed. And if anyone does take in a mouthful of that car smoke, you get Sam. Winchester, Sam."

Wanda stared at you with striking red eyes. "Affirmative." She nodded firmly.

"Does anyone have eyes on Iron Man?" Steve's voice crackled over the comms. "Somebody search the perimeter for Tony."

Natasha's reply came quick. "I saw him head towards the building a few minutes ago. Didn't think he was stupid enough to actually go in."

A couple seconds of dreadful silence took over. Finally, Steve broke it in a pained voice. "Stark's inside the building. Does anyone copy?"

"This is (Y/N)." It felt strange to acknowledge your old name. "I copy."

Concluding the conversation at that, you took off in the direction of the building, ignoring doors and permeating through walls to keep up with your steak. Once inside, you let gravity bring you to the floor and neatly folded your wings behind you.

The establishment may have seemed forsaken from the outside but once in, the notion changed entirely. The halls were immaculate and the lights were bright, bordering on blinding. The set up was dynamic to such an extent, it created an illusion of jumping to life as soon as enough human resources could be arranged.

Your eyes lit up in gold as you left yourself vulnerable to any life force, which would decide the route of your endeavour. Diabolically, you found not one but several life forces suffering in the building, some of them weak beyond repair.

Taking a deep breath, you moved down the hall, following the gut wrenching radiations of excruciating pain. Also acting as your guide was a trail of Iron Man armour parts seemingly ripped off of Tony's body by force. At the end of the trail was the helmet, the lights inside which were still flickering, showing it to be active.

Inconclusive to its extremes, you put on the helmet. All that was on display was a timer. "Mr. Stark has set the place to self destruct." FRIDAY'S voice echoed around you. "Initiating process in five minutes and forty nine seconds."

Roughly getting yourself out of the metal contraption, you instinctively headed inside the door in front of you. Contrasting the other side of the threshold, the room was dimly lit. A number of beds were lined along the wall, each providing rest to one unconscious person hooked to an IV.

Shuffling movement behind you was what made you turn around to face Tony, the jet black eyes and sickening smile conveying his complete lack of self. Carefully, he walked to the door and pushed it shut.

"Heya, sugar. Let's talk."