A Compelling Proposal

There was still work to be done. He wasn't sure what exactly, but it was something that Tony had been working on when Clint and Natasha dragged him out of his lab and into the elevator.

"That's all wrong. You can't be looking like that." Natasha licked her fingers and proceeded to style Tony's hair, which he protested against with all his might.

"You're gonna get your spit all over me!" He swatted her hands away, "Can either of you tell me what is this about?"

Clint looked at him from the corner of his eyes. "You'll see."

The elevator came to a hault and the doors slid open with a ding, revealing a slightly annoyed Bucky tapping his foot incessantly on the floor. "What took you so long?" He put his hand out in question. "Whoa. He's not gonna look like that, is he?"

"I can take care of that." Wanda's red aura was visible in the vicinity before she was. Delicately moving her fingers, she summoned a white sports jacket from Tony's closet, all of it glowing red from her magic and pulled it over his purple shirt, adjusting the seams and smoothing the fabric. "There. All better." She stepped back and admired her work with a smile.

As much as Tony liked being admired, he was beginning to get uncomfortable. "Will someone please tell me what's going on?"

Sam appeared in the corridor with the same been-waiting-too-long expression on his face that everybody else did. "What is the hold up here? Not to be rude, but there is a very long day ahead of me. I have a road trip back to Kansas, do you know how tiring it is?"

"Please be quick so he and his brother can get out of here. Dude thinks he is good at jesting but the Lord knows the truth." The other Sam, the Falcon, poked his head out of the door which connected the corridor to the common room.

"What did you say about me?" Dean walked up to the door from inside the room, ready to give Sam a piece of his mind when he saw the rest of the team clustered around the elevator and his focus shifted. "What are you lot waiting for? Chop, chop! Let's get a move on!" He clapped his hands together.

"He's right, let's go." Clint rushed the group into the common room.

The room was dimly lit and Tony's eyes were still having trouble adjusting to the relevant darkness. The lights in the center of the room came on, illuminating Tony and the immediate area around him. That was when he saw you, standing behind him in a short mint dress which looked like it was tailor made for you.

"(Y/N)? I thought you were leaving?" Tony's voice had a hint of relief which he was desperately trying to mask. You took a step closer to him. "And you didn't think to stop me?"

"I was trying to keep a promise." His gaze fell to the floor. Tony was having trouble looking back up into your eyes but he found himself staring at them regardless, without even turning his gaze up. You were kneeling on the floor in front of him on one knee, a smile plastered across your face which made Tony's heart melt. .

"Tony, you are a wonderful man and I had the good luck of meeting you thrice. You make my heart race which is comparable to nothing else. Sure, I was scared about this and it took me dying and coming back to life again to remember I love you, yes I do, and I know I want this more than anything. There's a feeling of euphoria that comes from just being near you and I never want to give up on that." Blinking away the tears, you held up your engagement ring with both hands. "Anthony Edward Stark, will you do me the honour of letting me be your fianceé again?"

The events unfolding before him were surreal enough to send Tony's head swimming. It he didn't know better, he would have inferred all of it to be a dream and somehow that seemed like the more plausible explanation. "Yes." He whispered after gaining control of his senses. He tugged you up and spun you around in delight. "Yes, I would love it, (Y/N). What kind of a question is that? Yes!"

Your melodious laughter was like a song to his ears. He gently set you down and pressed a chaste kiss on your lips, relishing every bit of the experience. He had slipped the ring on your finger, which had fit like a glove and was sparkling brightly as if to convey it's happiness about finally finding its way home.

"How did this happen?" Tony asked, resting his forehead against yours.

The entire room lit up and erupted in cheers. FRIDAY even did a confetti shower bit, courtesy of Bucky. "He helped." You gestured towards Steve.

Tony pulled him into a hug, having no other way to express his extent of gratitude. Steve could not remember the last time such a thing had happened in all their years of working together, or if it had ever happened at all.

"Thanks, Cap." Tony clapped Steve's back. Steve nodded in acceptance. "It's the least I could do.".

"Let's hear it for the Starks!" Dean hooted and the room filled with cheers and claps. You pulled Tony in for another kiss.

This was it - this was your happily ever after and you were going to do everything in your power to make sure it stayed that way.