New Enemies and New Truths

We run straight past the elevator and run towards the stairs. I was really hoping that they would bother Noah’s mother because I spoke to her. Hopefully she could lie to them and hopefully Noah could finally talk to her now that Allen was gone. I grab Peter’s shirt and pull him so he runs faster.

            “Come on!” I yell as we bust through the stairwell. We jump flights and skip steps. We run and run. I grab Peter’s hand and pull him along with me. We run all the way down to the first floor and I can hear them not far behind. We had to get to the airport soon.

            “How far is the airport from here?” I ask while we run through the lobby. Peter takes out his phone and quickly types something in. He stops briefly and I look at the stair well. They were coming! I pull Peter back and we are running again.

            “We are two miles away.” He yells. I nod and we run down the street dodging everyone we can. Peter is still clutching my hand. I am scared for my life but I also feel kind of cool running like this.

            “We can’t run two miles!” Peter says. I roll my eyes. I could if I tried hard enough. I look and see tons of taxis but I also see the men trying to get us only a few paces behind.

            “Peter! We have to lose them first.” I tell him. Peter looks behind him. He nods. We push forward and run faster. I grip my bag closer to myself and push myself harder. This was a matter of freedom. I wasn’t about to be captured by Jonathon. I weave in out of people and I make a sharp right into an alleyway. Peter runs along beside me and eventually we come to a fence. Oh shit!

            “We’ll have to climb.” Peter says. Before I can protest he is lifting me up. I grip the fence and start to climb.

            “Hey!” I look back and start freaking out when I see them on their way. Peter jumps up the fence and starts climbing. I climb faster when I feel the fence break. I finally make it over the side. Peter has already beat me and I wonder when he became the athletic one.

            “Come on!” Peter grabs my waist and helps me the rest of the way down. I look up and see our chasers half way up. I move the fence frantically back and forth and one of them fall. I stick my tongue out at him and he rushes towards me. Peter pulls on my arm and we are running again. We turn the corner and I see taxi that is idling on the curb. A woman is about to get in it. I rush over and hop in before she can.

            “What the hell?” She shouted. Peter slide in beside me.

            “I’m sorry!” I say giving her my best apologetic look. I shut the door and then look at the driver.

            “Go!” I practically go. The driver takes off and he asks where we are going.

            “The airport.” He says. I take a deep breath and try to settle myself. I kept looking out the back window expecting to see them chasing after me, but there was no sign of them. I didn’t realize I was still holding Peter’s hand until he said something.

            “You are kind of cutting off my circulation.” Peter says with a strained smile. I quickly let go and stick my hand in my lap.

            “Sorry.” I mutter. We spend the rest of the car ride in silence. At the airport we hurry through the airport and I keep looking at people expecting someone to reach out and grab me .

            We get to the terminal and get on the plane. Peter sits next to me and I rest my head on his shoulder. Even though there were a few bumps in the road—I got the job done and Noah’s family would soon be safe. I may have gained a new enemy but I am not planning on going to Chicago any time soon. I never want to see Jonathon again.