A Chance

As I look at myself in the mirror, I wonder how I could let this happen. Peter has always been a friend and more recently my best friend. Why did I let him kiss me and why did I kiss back? I did have a drink or two but I was sober enough to know right from wrong. What would Noah think if he found out?

            “Nora? Please come out.” Peter said knocking on the door. I shake my head. How could I even face him? It was now or well now. There was no avoiding this. I open the bathroom door and Peter looks a little red in the cheeks.

            “Come on.” I say and Peter follows me to a quieter section of the club. I sit down and Peter sits right across from me.

            “Look Nora, I’m sorry. It was wrong of me.” Peter starts. I smile sadly. It was always like him to apologize even when he wasn’t all to blame.

            “We were both in the wrong.” I say. I didn’t want to look at Peter and how the hell could I look Noah in the face? It was just a kiss but still. I felt so guilty.

            “I know that you and Noah are together. I didn’t mean to do that.” I smile at Peter. He was the sweetest guy ever and I hope that I didn’t just ruin our friendship.

            “It isn’t entirely your fault. I just…” I trail off. I had no idea what to even say to Peter. I was kissing him back and I didn’t know why. Peter places a hand on mine gently.

            “I like you Nora, but I know that you and Noah have something so I’ll be fine just being your friend.” He says quickly. How do I respond to that? Why was Peter so nice? I didn’t even deserve it.

            “You are too nice Peter.” I say quietly. He shakes his head.

            “I really care about you Nora. I just want you happy. Shall we forget this ever happened?” I smile at Peter and nod. It would take me a while to truly forget, but I would eventually.

            “Okay. Let’s go find Nina.” I say taking his hand. It felt a little awkward to do that, but ignored the feeling and pulled Peter along. Nina was in the middle of the dance floor with at least a dozen guys flocked around her. Some were watching the way she moved while others danced around her. I turn to Peter and tell him to wait by the door. It was time to leave. I was sweaty, tired and emotionally beat. I push through the crowd of men and I finally reach Nina. She smiles at me and wraps her arms around me.

            “Hey! I saw you kiss that guy. He is too cute Nora.” I roll my eyes and tell her that she is mistaken. Nina is pretty wasted at this point.

            “We have to leave now. It’s two.” I say pointing at my non-existent watch. She frowns and I start pulling her away. All the guys gave me somewhat dirty looks and I just ignored them. We had to get home before my father woke up. It was at least an hour drive back home.

            “Just ten more minutes please!” She says pulling her hand out of my group. She sashays back to the men and they cheer. I roll my eyes and just let her go. Ten minutes and that was it. I go back to Peter.

            “She said ten more minutes.” I tell Peter. He leans against the bar and shrugs his shoulders. It was clear that he didn’t really care when we left.

            “I’m going in.” I say walking back into the crowd. The least I could do is dance with Nina. I sure as hell didn’t want to lose Nina because I knew I would probably never find her. I go up next to her and she smiles and puts her hands on my shoulders. We both start dancing together but she soon lets go because a guy has caught her attention. I sigh and start dancing with myself. It isn’t long before I feel a pair of hands on my waist. I try to pull away but the hand tighten around my waist. I start to panic.