Boom

Nina went to visit Grant without me and I was fine with that. She thought she still had a chance and I told her she might once he got out of prison. Nina was pretty optimistic about the whole thing. I still had some finishing touches to put on the Hemi and then it would finally be ready for a test drive. I was excited to drive and for my father to drive with me. I really hoped he thought I did a good job overall. He was picky when it came to cars. He did like the paint job though so that was a start.

            I head out and finish the upholstery in just a few hours. I start up the car and it starts. It sounds a little rusty but it just needs to run for a little while. I leave the engine on and head into the kitchen to get a glass of water. All the hard work was about to pay off. I was about to drive that Hemi down the road and surprise my father. I finally got it in working condition. I take a long sip of the water and start to head back outside, but the phone rings.

            “Hello?” I say into the phone.

            “Nora!” It was Peter and he sounded a little freaked. I put my hands on my hips and look out the window. There was an oddly large number of cop cars out on the main road down the hill.

            “What?” I say into the phone. What the hell was going on?

            “You need to stay in the house okay? Everything is on lockdown. Lock the doors and stay put.” I scrunch my nose up. It smelled odd when the breeze came rolling in through the window.

            “Why? What’s going on?” I ask Peter.

            “Unknown personal entered without checking in and they are armed. I personally think its Jonathon’s men. I’m not sure though.” He says. My heart starts to race.

            “Okay. I’ll stay in the house. I just have to turn off the Hemi. I was testing it.” I say. Peter groans.

            “Just hurry. I’ll be there when I can.” I nod and hang up the phone. I start to head back out to the garage. I was maybe thirty feet away when I hear whizzing sound. My eyes widen as I spot the front garage window break. I think my body knew what was going to happen before I did because I started running back to the house.

            The explosion was loud and it sent my flying through the air along with everything that was in the garage. I land somewhere and hard. My vision is blurry for a few moments and my head is killing. I can’t even stand up at the moment and I have to take all the Dupree hitting me. There was siding, metal, glass and other things that just rained down on me. I was covering my hand with my hands and I closed my eyes and waited until it became eerily silent. I still couldn’t move no matter how hard I tried. It was also become increasingly more difficult to stay conscious. I wanted to just go to sleep right then and there. There was a huge shard of glass in my leg and my arms had all sorts of scrapes and scratched. I didn’t even want to know what my face looked like. Everything just became too much and I passed out.

            I wake up with this burning sensation on my arm and so much pain in my leg and other arm. My head didn’t hurt as much but my face felt hot. I look up and see nothing. It was dark and there was a wooden plank on me. If fact there was shit covering me and all around me. With all my strength I push it off me. I can’t even move anything else because I exerted myself too much. I stay still and then I hear voices.

            “Nora! Nora!” Multiple voices calling out my name. They must be looking for me. I try calling out to them, but my voice came out in a whisper. I gritted my teeth and swore at myself for being a baby. Who cares if it hurts to talk! This is life or death! I swallowed one last time before yelling.