Inmate Shopping

The next day, Nina bugged me all morning and afternoon. She wanted to know everything about Noah and why he was in prison. I was amazed that she didn’t recognize him from the famous Bucatti case that was all over the news. Noah’s trial was coming up just a week after the monthly visit for the inmates. Nina says that he was probably a real bad boy and that he would be great in bed. I failed to tell her that I already knew that. If I did tell her, I would never hear the end of it. It was better to just keep quiet.

            “So when is he coming over again?” She asks. I open the fridge and search for something to munch on.

            “Tonight actually. Dad said that he could come over on weekends and two days of the work week.” I say. Nina sighs and rests her hands on the counter. My father was being strangely cool about this, but I knew he didn’t want this. I could read my dad like an open book. He was hoping that this was just a phase and when school picked up again, I would forget about Noah. My Dad really thought that Noah was guilty of murder.

            “Your dad is so cool. I mean he is letting you date a prisoner.” I roll my eyes.

            “Well he actually hates Noah. And there was a lot of sneaking around before he found out.” I say in a factual manner. Nina gives me a sly grin and walks over to me. She leans into me.

            “Nora Morris. You really are a dirty girl.” She pulls away and winks. I give a sarcastic laugh and grab a water instead of food. I sit at the counter and Nina takes a seat across from me.

            “I wish I had someone. Stan broke up with me a few weeks ago. He is such a dick.” Nina says with a rueful look. You would never want to piss Nina off. She was like Karma—a real bitch. Stan was her yearlong boyfriend and he was such a tool. Not only was he nine years older, he was also one of those guys that acted stupid all the time. I wasn’t all that surprised by the news and Nina didn’t look too upset. She wasn’t the type of person to settle.

            “Well you have thousands of inmates to choose from.” I say with a smile. Nina looks up at me with a smile. I was starting to like Nina all over again. She still had her annoying tendencies, but I missed her and I missed talking like this. Peter would just act all embarrassed. It was nice to have a girl around even if it was Nina. 

            “Come on. I’ll give you a tour and you can scope out some guys.” I say. Nina nods excitedly and I grab my keys off the counter. Noah wouldn’t be here for a couple hours. I knew all of the good-looking inmates because I made it my job too. Most of the attractive ones were the lesser of evil crimes. 

            “This is going to be so fun.” Nina says squeezing my hand. I sigh and hop in the tuck. I knew where to look and Peter would give me the keys and a guard to follow us. My father would want that and Peter was like a teacher’s pet to my dad. He did everything and anything to please him. My dad did like Peter and he had a good future ahead of him.             

            We get down to the main building in record time because I was speeding a little, not that it mattered all that much. Nina was trembling with excitement. I didn’t get her though. She had tons of guys wanting her the other night and she didn’t try to get to know any of them. I see Peter at the desk and he is looking at his computer like usual.

            “Hi Peter.” I say when I reach his desk. He looks up at me. I still felt awkward around him and I was trying my best to not show it to Nina. She was grinning like an idiot though.

            “Hey Nora. Nina.” He says. I smile at Peter and take a seat on his desk just like I always did. Teasing Peter was the funniest and most amusing thing in the world. He stops what he is doing and looks at me waiting for my question.