Moving Right Along

An entire month passed by and tomorrow would be the famous visit where Noah’s family would come and I would have to sneak them out under Jonathon’s radar. That might prove difficult though because Jonathon was probably keeping an eye out for me to. I was going to need Peter’s help—again. My pregnancy was the last thing on my mind. Well at least until Nina, Peter or Noah brought it up. I was almost two months and though I wasn’t really showing, I could already feel the hardness of my stomach.    

            The truck was ready for his family and I was ready for them to be safe. I hardly knew his family, but I did care for them. In Alaska, they wouldn’t constantly be watching their backs. They could finally breathe and Jonathon could do nothing to stop Noah from testifying against him. I slip on a cotton V-neck over my head and then head downstairs. Peter and I were going out to dinner tonight and there I would ask him if he would help us. I had a feeling he would say yes.

            “Nora, Peter is here.” She says. I nod and start heading down the stairs. It was nice to move and not feel any pain. My stomach and the rest of my body healed perfectly. Also at my last doctors visit, they told me that my baby was as healthy as a horse and that at the three month mark, they would test for autism.

            “You going with Peter honey?” My father asks as I stroll into the kitchen. I put my hands on my hips and nod.

            “Yeah dad. I said that earlier today.” I say wondering what my dad’s issue was. His health was getting worse and yesterday he stayed home for the first time in years. He just wasn’t feeling too well. It had to be the worst time to tell him about the baby.

            “It’s just that Noah is coming over tonight.” Right. I forgot. I was so busy trying to figure out how to fit Peter in my plan that I simply just forgot Noah was coming over like he always did.

            “He can just wait. You can talk to him dad. Be nice.” I say. Nina snorts and heads back upstairs. My father rolls his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest. 

            “Fine. I won’t like it though.” He says. I smile and kiss his cheek. Peter holds out his arm and I take it. We then head out the door and get in his truck.

            Peter drives to a well-known diner in the area. It was a popular hangout for all of the high school kids and I wasn’t surprised when I saw a group of teens sitting in the biggest booth. Peter and I sit on the opposite side of the room. High school wasn’t exactly the best of memories for either of us. The waitress takes our order and then head to another table.

            “How’s the baby?” Peter asks. I shrug my shoulders.

            “Fine. I mean I guess it’s going how any normal pregnancy should go.” I say sipping some water. Peter sighs and really looks at me.

            “You need to tell him Nora. You are almost three months along.” I roll my eyes. I didn’t want to tell my father and I didn’t want to have this baby. On the outside, I was acting pretty nonchalant about this, but I was really screaming on the inside. Peter had no idea how I was feeling.      

            “He will hate me.” I whisper. Peter shakes his head.

            “No he won’t.” Peter assures me. I know my father better than Peter does. He was a man with his own values and those values included that it was bad to have a baby out of wedlock.

            “Whatever. I want to talk about something else.” I say. Peter rolls his eyes.

            “Like?” He asks.