Nightmare Becomes Reality

I had to talk to someone about my issues with besides Peter. He kept on saying that it would be okay and Noah would understand. I needed someone to give it to me straight. I decided to confide in Nina. I sure had my issues with her in the past, but I needed her right now. I texted her to come into my room when she got home tonight. It was currently ten at night and I was waiting for her. Peter left when my father came home around seven.

            I wanted to fall asleep and forget that entire phone call with that lady from the hospital. I felt like I was in a terrible dream, but I wasn’t waking up. This real. I remember always making fun of girls who were young and pregnant, but now I was one of them—possibly. I wouldn’t know for sure until further test were completed. I decided that I wasn’t going to tell Noah anything until after the doctor’s appointment which was in two days. I was so scared.

            “Nora.” Nina sings as she enters my room. Once she sees my expression, her face falls and she shuts the door. Nina and I may bump heads but we had our own language. She knew when I wanted to talk and all that.

            “What’s up?” She says quietly sitting on my bed. I throw my arms around her and she carefully rests her arms around my back. I just hug her for a while. I don’t cry because I was done with that for the night. I was crying since I found out. 

            “What’s wrong Nora?” She asks me. I look at her.

            “The hospital called.” I say. Nina takes my hands in hers.

            “Are you going to die?” Nina says quietly with her lips quivering. I shake my head. What kind of question was that? I almost wanted to laugh. If only it was that.

            “No—I-I might be pregnant.” I close my eyes not wanting to see her reaction. When I open my eyes, Nina has a look of surprise. Her jaw is dropped so far that a fly could zip right on through.

            “Is it Noah’s or Leo’s?” I roll my eyes. I was not the type of girl to sleep around like that.

            “Noah’s. I have been with him for a while now.” I say. Not really though. Three months? Maybe a little less. I sigh and Nina squeezes my hand.

            “Sorry. Stupid question. What are you going to do?” She asks seriously. I shrug my shoulders. I honestly didn’t know.

            “I have no idea. I don’t even know how I can tell Noah.” I admit. Nina rubs my back just like Peter did.

            “We can go to one of those abortion clinics.” She says. I give her an incredulous look. I was a pro-choice girl, but I personally wouldn’t do that. It wasn’t really my thing to kill a life.

            “This possible infant has survived the explosion and I could never do that.” I say. Nina shrugs her shoulders. She has always been very blunt about things—even things that were so controversial.

            “Your right. That thing is like a miracle baby.” She says pointing to my stomach. I groan and lie back down on my bed. I was happy to talk about this to Nina, but she wasn’t helping very much.

            “I-I just don’t know what to do. I have an appointment on Monday to confirm it.” I tell Nina. She smiles at me slightly.

            “Hey, I’ll go with you.” I nod and mouth a thank you. Nina pulls me into a hug. I have never seen her so sincere before.

            Nina stays with me the rest of the night. We talk about everything that has happened since we last saw each other. We tried to not talk about my current situation or Noah. Nina and I had a normal talk for the first time in years. I felt like we were actually cousins again. I just hoped that she could keep her mouth shut until I was ready to tell Noah myself. I fall asleep with Nina next to me.