Visiting Day

“Good morning.” I say handing out a program to the family walking in. Visiting day. I sigh and lean against the wall. My father was making me help out with the whole visit today. I was tired and my feet were hurting so bad. It was part of my punishment for getting pregnant I guess. He hardly has said more than ten words to me these past two days. Ever since he found out about the baby, he seems to want nothing to do with me. I hand out another program and then close the doors.

            It was interesting to see so many normal people. I was used to seeing officers everywhere I went. I even spotted Noah’s mother and two sisters. She gave me a small smile when she saw me and then headed away as if she didn’t know me. Jonathon’s men could be anywhere. I fan myself and Wes comes over. He lets me sit down in a chair. I thank him. Wes was the only person my father now trusted so he told Wes of my situation. I wasn’t happy that he was telling everyone my business but it was out my hands.

            My father stands in front of all the parents and other relatives to lay down the rules. It was important that everyone did as they were told so nobody would get hurt. Noah’s mother sat right in front and I could see my father looking at her every so often. He almost glared at her like it was her fault this happened to me.

            “You okay Nora?” Wes whispers. I nod once and Wes hands me a bottle of water. I look down at my stomach and I could help but notice the smallest of bumps bellow my belly button. I had already started applying lotion that prevented stretch marks. Nina bought it for me. She said that keeping my body look good was important. I agreed with her to an extent.

            My father ends his little speech and the parents wait for their names to be called. Visits would be taking place in the dining hall because it was the biggest room we had. Each family walked down the hall into the dining hall and I watched as the room started to empty. I lock eyes with my father and he frowns and turns away. I roll my eyes and walk out of the building. A little walk might be nice.

            “Wait up!” I stop and Peter is running after me. He smiles and I grin. His presence always made me want to smile. He made me forget about my problems. Peter puts an arm around my shoulders. I roll my eyes.

            “We should go get that truck.” Peter says all nonchalantly. I nod and we start heading towards my house. The walk wasn’t that far and I felt like walking. I ate like a pig lately and walking made me feel better about what I was eating.

            “You sure you don’t want me to get the car?” He asks signaling back down at the parking lot. We were nearly halfway there. I shake my head.

            “I’m fine.” I tell him and to show him I run the rest of the way to my house. Peter laughs and runs after me. It was nice to know that I could still run. I was scared of doing something wrong and losing the baby. I didn’t want that to happen—not after everything my baby has been through so far.

            We get to my house and head out to the shed that was way behind the house. I was a little worried about Jonathon’s people but there was no way they were getting inside the prison grounds. They were probably waiting on the outside. Waiting for Noah’s family to head back to Chicago. I swing the large wooden doors open. Dust springs out and I put my hand over my mouth. I was actually surprised that this shed didn’t get destroyed along with the garage.

            “Pull the tarp over.” I tell Peter. He nods and grabs the end of one tarp and pulls it over. The black tarp falls to the side revealing an old truck from the 80’s. It may be old but it was in great running condition—I think. I sigh and get in the driver’s seat. I put the key in the ignition and it takes a few tries to start the thing up. Peter looks at me.