01. Apple's Eye Diner

CHAPTER ONEapple's eye diner !

CHAPTER ONE
apple's eye diner !

— 🥀 —

         Finn hated closing. It was probably the worst thing to him since the diner where he worked closed at midnight and that meant he would stay the extra hour behind and help Rosie clean the dishes. And, like most every night he closed, Rosie was too, which meant he would be cleaning dishes until one in the morning. The only good thing about closing was the fact he got to stay in the night at his sister's.

         Davina Royce, his half-sister who was a decade older than him, lived only a block away from the Apple's Eye Diner where he worked. She was even the one who had gotten him the job since he needed somewhere to work if he wanted to stay out of juvie, something to prove he wouldn't be selling drugs since he would be working too much. And Wilma, his boss, did just that; overworked him.

         He didn't blame Wilma. She was just a woman who demanded a lot from her employees, even if it meant staying late and not being able to complete his homework. Though, Finn would be the first to admit, homework wasn't really top priority in his life. Hell, it didn't even make top ten.

         "Come on, Finny!" he heard from the kitchen, "Help me clean the dishes!"

         Finn rolled his eyes even though Rosie couldn't see him. The two were the last people in the diner. It was ten after twelve and the last customer had left about five minutes ago after have being there for over an hour. Rosie didn't have the heart to kick the poor woman out when she was supposed to (five minutes before closing) and left Finn to do so five minutes after closing.

         "One second! I'm cleaning off the counters and shit," he yelled back at the girl. Spritzing cleaner onto the table, he took his rag and wiped it up, spreading it everywhere. 

         He had been working on this since about thirty minutes before Apple's Eye closed, but had to wait for the poor woman to leave until he could start on her table. With her gone, he cleaned the top of it and finally went back to the kitchen with a dramatic, "I'm here!" eliciting a laugh from Rosie.

         Rosie was almost a sister to him. They weren't exactly close, even though Finn had been working there for about six months, but they were close enough to bicker with each other constantly. Officially, Rosie Harlan had been working at the diner since she was sixteen. Unofficially, she had been working there since a year before that. Much like Finn, since he actually started working when he was still fifteen, which meant that they didn't pay him for his first three months of working there.

         "So," Rosie started, "Staying with Vina tonight?"

         Finn rolled his eyes, "Of course. Mom didn't like it when I showed up at one after taking the subway. Said I could've gotten mugged and shit, but dad just laughed. I know he was scared for me too, though."