18. Not Better Than Pie

CHAPTER EIGHTEENnot better than pie !

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
not better than pie !

— 🥀 —

Finn awoke from his nap by someone standing over him, shaking his shoulder until he didn't have a choice to break from unconsciousness. It was Sunday afternoon and Finn, who hadn't left the apartment except to go to work, had taken a nap on the couch.

Groaning at the sensation, he turned over to slap the arm of whoever was waking him, but they weren't swayed. "Stop," he mumbled, voice groggy and he moved the blanket back up his arm to cover him. All he wanted was to sleep.

"No," the voice replied, allowing Finn to realize that this was Davina standing over him.

He hit her again. "I wanna sleep," he drew out the words, wishing desperately for his dreams to return so that he didn't have to face reality quite yet. Dreams were always better.

He heard Davina sigh before the blanket was ripped from on top of him, spreading chills over him as he curled up in a ball trying to conserve heat. He whined at the cold prickling his skin, pouting but Davina was not swayed. "Get up, Finn, I mean it," the girl said sternly.

Finn stuck out his tongue in response before snuggling deeper in the couch, trying not to focus on just how harsh the cold air was on him. Davina let out a frustrated noise before taking his arm and dragging him away from the couch, which made him whine again, before dropping to the floor.

His elbow took most of the fall for his upper half and he immediately brought it up to hold it. "Ow!" he finally opened his eyes, glaring at Davina who looked unapologetically at him.

"You wouldn't get up," Davina said in defense, "Sorry I had to take such drastic measures."

"I just wanted to sleep, Davina," he snapped, "And how I can't even do that?"

"Finn, you've been here the whole weekend. Lucy's worried about you, and I am too. You have to go back eventually," Davina said softly, looking at her brother and hoping that he understood.

Right. He hadn't been home since the dance Friday, ignoring the texts and calls from his mother and the one phone call from his dad. He just wanted to stay huddled in a ball forever, or at least for a long time, and not face them. Mostly, he just didn't want to face his mom. She had been so excited that Finn was going to Homecoming – and with a date! – and he didn't want to ruin that yet. Not like how Peter ruined him.

Peter. The thought of the boy filled Finn with a deep rage, and then a sad bitterness. Oh, the tears he had wasted on the boy, crying for hours onto Davina's shoulder as she rubbed his back and Asher tried to offer him coffee even though it was eleven and it had caffeine. And yesterday, Saturday, how they held him closely and comforted him after he came home from work late.