04. Take the Blame

CHAPTER FOURtake the blame !

CHAPTER FOUR
take the blame !

— 🥀 —

            "Can you take table four? It's the one with the perky blonde," Rosie asked Finn, behind the main counter as she poured more drinks for another table.

         Finn nodded, "Yeah, why?"

         "I used to go to school with her. She was a total asshole to me and I don't feel like waiting on her," Rosie explained, "She'll get it in her head that she's better than me probably."

         "Cool," was all that Finn said in response to that, putting on his best fake smile and going over to the table, "Hi, I'm Finn and I'll be waiting on you today. What can I get you guys to drink?"

         It was a very rehearsed phrase, used too many times during a single shift. He felt like an actor, saying the lines written on a script during performance, but without the sparkle or appeal of one. Just mundane, mundane and boring.

         The blonde smile brightly up at him. She was there with another man and a child who Finn suspected to be her husband and child but the wedding ring on their hands. "Hi, can I get a water?"

         "Pepsi," the man said, and Finn nodded, walking to the where they got the refreshments. He was back with the drinks quickly, going off to wait another minute or so before asking what they wanted to eat that night.

         It kept going like that until Finn got his break. He spent those precious fifteen minutes in the kitchen, sitting on one of the counters as he ate some apple pie that the chef, Louis, had prepared. "Hey, kid!" Louis yelled, "Off of my counter!"

         Finn smiled, "Soon." Louis shook his head and went back to working and Finn chuckled. As he finished his slice, Rosie came into the kitchen and stood beside Finn.

         "You on your break now?" Finn asked her and she nodded.

         "Thankfully," she muttered before rolling her eyes, "God, that girl tried to talk to me. You know, from table four? Yeah, well, she saw me and started up like 'oh my God, we haven't see each other in so long! How are you?' as if she actually cared. It makes me sick."

         "Sorry," he shrugged, not knowing what else to do.

         "Oh, never mind. I'm being overdramatic, but can you blame me?" Rosie rhetorically asked, "Anyways, I'm going out back to take a smoke."

         "I'd join you but that won't go so well, will it?" Finn grinned and Rosie rolled her eyes.

         "Shut up," she nudged him, "Get back to work and don't joke about that. You're not supposed to be doing any of that anymore."