17. Tumbling Down

CHAPTER SEVENTEENtumbling down !

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
tumbling down !

— 🥀 —

         Lucy stood before Finn with a proud smile as she readjusted his tie. She then just held his shoulders tightly with watery eyes as she studied him. Then, muttering, "My boy's growing up."

         Unable to help himself, Finn rolled his eyes and whined, "Mom, I'm just going to a dance."

         Obviously, that was a bit of a lie because it wasn't just a dance, of course. This was a dance with Peter, with this guy that might kiss him at the end of the night and that he'd dance with. The guy he's been thinking of basically since their first session, blushing over and smiling way too much at. He'd laugh and meet Peter's friends, well friend because apparently he only had one, and maybe they'd get along, hopefully anyways.

         Lucy scoffed at him, "This is not just a dance. You have a date! You're going to Homecoming with someone and that's – oh, you're so old now."

         "I'm not that old," Finn said to her, because it was true. He was only sixteen. That wasn't really old.

         "Yes, but soon you're going to be thirty and married and I'll be an old woman," she sighed, "I remember when Davina was this age. I helped do her hair for her first Prom, she wore a maroon dress and her hair was in a bun with some hair stringing out in the front. She looked so beautiful and you – you look so handsome, Finn."

         Finn blushed, thinking over the words his mother said. It wasn't often that she talked about Davina, seeing as she was the daughter of his dad's first marriage. And his dad didn't talk about her either because, well, there were a lot of reasons. One being that she deliberately chose to stay with her own mother through everything, two being that she didn't go to an ivy league college like he wanted. In a lot of ways, she was the black sheep of the family. The outlier. At least, to his parents. To Finn, Davina was always his sister.

         Because she was. Even if she was only his half-sister, that was something. And she lit up his world in so many ways, allowing him a place to stay and being his best friend when he didn't have anyone else. Someone who supported him through everything, even in the dark times when he thought he was athletic. She went to every game and got him a treat afterwards even though he was utter shit at everything. She would ruffle his hair as he pushed her away and she would laugh at him and mutter encouraging words.

         She was truly his older sister. They had a closer relationship than others. People saw their siblings as a nuisance and often wished of being an only child but never Finn. Maybe it was because it felt that way so often because Davina never had a constant place here. She'd stay with them in the months when her mother was in rehab and when she was eighteen she went to college and never moved back in to the house. Finn lived here as the only child and so he never felt the need to wish to be one. And while he and Davina argued every now and again, they never truly fought. Probably because Davina was a teenager when he was a child and, well, no one should hurt children.