07. Cheer Up Champ

CHAPTER SEVENcheer up champ !

CHAPTER SEVEN
cheer up champ !

— 🥀 —

         One thing that Finn learned through his lessons with Peter was that he always left exactly at six, rushing out the door. It was weird to say the least, like he was rushing towards something or didn't want to be around Finn longer than he had to. But the latter didn't make much sense because Peter seemed to like their time together. At least, he was super kind about it.

         Although Finn had been observing this during their sessions, he never said anything about it in case it made Peter uncomfortable. Said boy was sitting next to the boy and showing him how to work out a problem before Finn inevitably groaned and practically face planted to the counter, causing Peter to let out a laugh.

         "Too hard?" he asked, in a nice and kind way but also in one of gathering information. Finn knew that Peter asked because he needed to know if he needed to explain it slower or come back to it later.

         "Too frustrating," Finn corrected, turning his head to look at Peter. His hair was curlier that late, less gelled up. "I hate math so fucking much."

         Peter smiled, "Well, it's not for everyone. But you're really good at it when you have the basic concept of it all."

         For some reason, he liked when Peter told him that. Gave him the little affirmation in the midst of all the disappointed looks from his geometry teacher when giving out grades. It was nice to have someone who saw potential in him; who believed in him. "Thanks, Peter," he said, "But I don't think you're right about that."

         "Oh, I totally am," Peter disagreed, shaking his head as his curls moved with the motion, "You do so good during our sessions."

         "Yeah, when it's fresh in my brain. I'm still failing all my fucking quizzes and tests, though," Finn rolled his eyes.

         "That's because this is the only time you focus on math."

         "It's also the only time I have to focus on math," the Patterson boy added, "I have work and then I have to do my homework, but I don't even do that sometimes. I don't have time to study."

         "How do you have an A in English then? Or history?" Peter asked, obviously trying to get somewhere.

         "I'm good in those classes. They're easy to me, and it doesn't hurt that Asher lives here and doesn't let me fail," Finn said, "Like, she sits me down and forces me to do all her work all while standing over me to keep me from getting distracted."