22. Give Another Chance

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWOgive another chance !

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
give another chance !

— 🥀 —

         He was nervous, of course he was. Monday afternoon, school had ended, and he knew what he had planned for the time before his shift. He knew what he had already set in stone, what he had to do. He couldn't turn around and go back on his word, skip out and go home or to Davina's apartment, he had to face the boy who had broken his heart. Well, that was a bit of an exaggeration but whatever, it still felt that way to him.

         His grip was tight on the strap of his backpack, anchoring him to the world. Moving through the hallways, his heart raced even though he was nowhere close to the door or the frozen yogurt place where he had asked to meet Peter. Somewhere new, somewhere they hadn't been together but somewhere Finn associated with good memories. Hopefully he could count this as one of them.

         The words from the call echoed through his head, he could still remember them clearly. "Hello? Finn?" his voice had been so urgent at first and Finn had swallowed. God, his voice.

         "It's me," Finn confirmed for Peter, shuffling on his bed and glad that Toni was in the guest room, "I talked to Toni, she confirmed everything you said."

         There was a pause. He didn't have to explain further about what Toni had confirmed, they both knew that. No, her confirmation had been the explanation for what happened at Homecoming, for why Peter had left Finn to go to Davina's apartment and weep openly in her arms. It explained why he had hurt Finn, why he had to leave and what was more important than him.

         Fuck.

         "Oh," Peter spoke, "And, uh, do you believe me now? Now that you've heard from Toni?"

         His voice was so nervous, so anxious about Finn's answer. He knew what he should say, he should say no and hang up the phone and forget about Peter. He had known that before he had even made the call, but it was too late. There was no turning back now, there was only going forward with the choices he had already made. "Yeah. Yes, I believe you. Are you free Monday afternoon? I wanna talk some more."

         It was Finn's turn to be nervous. Of course, Peter could say no, he could reject Finn for the safety of Queens, being Spider-Man, and that was what made Finn afraid.

         "Yeah, I am. Do you want me to swing around Davina's apartment?" Peter asked him, tone lighter than before confirming that he was happy. He really did want to meet up and fix things with Finn. It meant a lot to the boy.