13. The Big, Bad Wolf

CHAPTER THIRTEENthe big, bad wolf !

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
the big, bad wolf !

— 🥀 —

The thing that Finn had most prominently noticed when visiting Tessa's apartment was that her parents never seemed to be home. "They work late," Tessa had said when he asked about it, shuffling quickly to the kitchen as she asked him if he wanted something to drink. So she knew that her parents were never home and hated it, he gathered, so he never brought it up again even though he didn't believe the excuse she provided him.

He had also noticed that the master bedroom was always locked – always – and on the fire escape was an ash tray. The third cabinet from the fridge held a bottle of whiskey that was slowly diminishing and once when he sat on the couch he heard the crunch of a can under him. It was a beer can. Finn didn't bring that up to Tessa, he didn't bring anything he noticed up to her besides the fact that her parents were never home, and just threw the can away. He heard his lesson of bringing things he didn't like about her life up to her. She didn't take kindly to any of his observations so Finn learned to internalize them.

On the couch with a bowl of popcorn, the two watched the corny and terribly cliché movie on the Hallmark channel – something about a girl's boyfriend being prince and she didn't even know it? – when Tessa said, "There's a party this Thursday."

Finn rolled her eyes at the statement, knowing what it really meant. He then cringed at what was happening on the screen. "Not interested," he said.

"Oh, come on," Tessa complained, "You're, like, no fun anymore man. I seriously think you've only been to one party this whole school year and last year by this time you were creeping up on your twentieth or something."

"I have work on Thursday," Finn gave an excuse, "And last year was a long time ago, Tess, I've changed since then."

"And don't I know it. But do you really have work or are you just giving me an excuse so that I'll stop bugging you?" Tessa questioned him, turning away from the screen to look at Finn.

"Yes, I have work on Thursday," she gave him a hard look, "Okay, so maybe I don't have work but that doesn't mean I'm going to the party. You don't know, I could have plans."

Tessa snorted, "You? Have plans like a normal person with a functioning social life? Yeah, I don't think so."

"Hey! I have other friends besides you! Like Peter," Finn brought up, "Peter is my friend and he might wanna hang out with me on Thursday, I don't know."

"So bring him to the party. The more the merrier," Tessa insisted.

Finn shook his head. "Partying isn't really his thing, he's more of a fucking nerd, but it's cute," Tessa gagged playfully, "Shut up! And why are you so insistent on my coming to the fucking party anyways?"