Chapter Two

"The Sorting of The Scamander"

•••••••••

A few hours later, I sat at the Hufflepuff table and waited for the first years to arrive. I was sitting in between my friends, Amos Diggory and Nymphadora Tonks.

I befriended Amos, ironically, through Quidditch. It's ironic, because I don't play Quidditch. I may not play it but I know enough about it that Professor McGonagall asked me to commentate the matches for extra credit. Long story short, a few unnecessary (according to McGonagall) comments later, I'd managed to befriend both the Hufflepuff and Griffindor Quidditch teams.

Nyphadora (or Tonks as she prefers to be called), on the other hand, is a completely different story. We'd shared a few classes in our past four years at Hogwarts and needless to say, we bonded over driving our professors mad. Before we became friends, we were each extremely sassy and sarcastic on our own.

Let's just say that after Professor Slughorn decided to pair us up in Potions class, we nearly made the daft bastard explode with our combined wit. We started to feed off of each other's sarcastic and witty remarks, and let's just say that if Lily Evans didn't threaten to rip out our vocal cords with a glare, then we could have gone on for hours. Four trips to detention later and we became best friends.

Now here we are in our fourth year at Hogwarts, the Triumphant Trio or as some of the professors here like to call us, the Heathenous Hufflepuffs.

"Are you excited or nervous about your brother's sorting?" Amos asked as he took a bite of a chicken wing.

I scrunched my nose and furrowed my brows in confusion. "Why would I be nervous? Michael is the one being sorted in front of the entire school with an enchanted old hat whispering in his head."

"I think he's had one too many Bludgers to the head." Tonks joked, before taking a drink of her water.

"I think it was more than just one too many." I quipped back and we both laughed, earning a playful glare from Amos.

"Sod off, the both of you!" He groaned, pushing my strawberry blonde head, so the sides of mine and Tonks' heads would collide.

"Oi!" We both exclaimed, while rubbing the sides of our heads that collided.

"Watch yourself, Diggory! Or next time I'll rip those chubby hands right out!" Tonks hissed, whacking the back of his head.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" McGonagall shouted, causing everyone to turn their attention to her. "Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words, before we begin."

"I have a few start of term notices, I'd like to announce." The older professor stated as he stood from his seat. "For first years, please note, that the Dark Forest is strictly forbidden for all students. Also, our caretaker Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you, that the third floor corridor, on the right hand side, is out of bounds to anyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you."

"Well, that's cheerful." I mutter to Amos and Tonks, making them both grin.

McGonagall started naming off first years and one by one they got sorted. After a good long bit, my little brother's name was called.

"Michael Scamander!"

He slowly made his way up to the front and sat down on the wooden stool. The Sorting Hat was placed on his head and by the look on my brother's face, you could tell that the hat was messing with him.

"Might as well be..... RAVENCLAW!!!!" The hat exclaimed and I applauded proudly for my little brother. When he passed me, I sent him a big grin and a thumbs up.

After the feast, I went to the girls lavatory on the second floor to meet with the boys. I took the speciation journal from under my arm and asked, looking at each of the three boys who would be performing the long and tedious process of becoming an animagus. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes."

"Absolutely."

"Mhmm."

I nodded at their replies and opened the book. "The first step is to hold a mandrake leaf in your mouth for a full month. You cannot take it out or swallow it. If you do, you have to start over."

"Then at the next visible full moon, you must put your saliva soaked leaf in a phial within the light of the moon's pure rays. The potion must also contain dew that hasn't been exposed to the sun's rays or human feet for a full seven days. This potion needs to be kept hidden and out of sunlight. Then you must wait for a lightning storm. Every day while waiting for this storm, during sunrise and sunset you must say 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus'. This can go on for quite some time. The rest of the process involves preparing to transform, drinking the potion, and repeating the incantation. The after effects of an animagus ritual gone wrong are— oh my!"

"What?" Peter asked, looking quite frightened.

"I think it's best that you lot read it for yourselves." I admitted, handing the journal to Sirius and watched as the other two read over his shoulder. Their eyes grew wide in shock and slight fear.

"Wow, that's um...." James started, but trailed off as he looked between me and the book. "Is that—"

"Yeah, it is." I confirm with a nod, I pursed my lips and asked them one more time. "Are you absolutely sure about this?"

I received a nod from three and I pulled out my case. This earned a confused look from the three other boys while Remus just grinned.

"What are you doing?" Sirius asked as I popped open the case.

"Getting the mandrake leaves." I replied simply, before standing up and turning to the boys. "Are you lot coming or not?"

I stepped into my case and climbed down the steps into my father's old potions workshop. I searched the desk for a bit, before realizing where the leaves where.

"Remus, would you mind getting that jar of leaves from the top shelf for me? I can't quite reach it." I sighed, turning meekly to the taller boy.

He simply laughed and grabbed it, before handing it to me. I handed the three leaves to the three who were going through with it.

"Remember you can't take those out for a whole month." I stated, earning a nod from each of them.

"Fantastic! Now who would like a tour of the case?"