Chapter Five

We wait for it to get dark so that we can have the bonfire. I was dying inside, I can't wait to see Alex. I cross my fingers that he'll ask me to the dance. I really like him. I really really hope that he likes me, too. Maybe he won't even ask me.. maybe he doesn't even like me. Grace, don't think like that. Stay positive! I should really follow my own advice.

We sit out blankets to sit on if we're not around the fire. Around the fire are a bunch of benches.

There are three fires going on, the first fire isn't just a small fire, it's huge. They get smaller. One is for roasting marshmallows; one for sitting by; one for just watching. (The huge one. Something tells me you wouldn't get perfectly roasted marshmallows in that huge of a fire and you'll burn your face off if you sit by it.)

I sit out my tan fuzzy blanket on a spot of grass to the left of the smallest fire. I sit there for about 3 minutes or so until I hear someone say my name from behind me.

I turn around but Alex is already sitting down beside me.

"Hey." I say, smiling.

He looks at me, then leans in and places his hand on my cheek.

Is he going to kiss me?! Is he going to kiss me?! IS HE GOING TO KISS ME?!

His lips are approximately two centimeters away from mine and he's staring into my eyes.

He brushes my cheek with his thumb right below my eye.

"You had glitter..." He says, smiling.

GLITTER?!? From when my glitter exploded?!

"Oh. Thanks." 

"No problem."

He keeps his face there for a while and just keeps watching my eyes but then leans back. So close!

"Wanna go roast some marshmallows?" I ask, smiling.

He smiles at me and hops up saying "I was just about to ask the same thing!"

He gives me his hand to help me up and I stand up but he doesn't let go of my hand. Eeep! That was smooth. The good kind of smooth.

 We walk over to the small fire and we stick two marshmallows on a stick. He starts to roast them and asks, "How do you like yours?"

"Burnt."

He looks over at me with a suprised face them smiles. "Me too. It's meant to be."

He burns them and he throws it on my mouth after it's cooled off. It was delicious. It doesn't take much to make a good burnt marshmallow. All you have to do it stick it in the flame then blow it off, but he made it five times better just by being himself.

Then, he locks his fingers with mine and we walk off by the lake. It's so beautiful, it takes my breath away. The moon is reflecting off of the smooth water surface and there are lightning bugs floating around.

We stand by the water, just holding hands and smiling at the beautiful lake.

Finally, he turns towards me and says, "Grace?"

"Yes?"

"Will you go to the dance with me tomorrow?" He asks, looking into my eyes. His eyes sparkle, and for a moment, I forget how to reply. I would love to! Wait, I didn't say that out loud.

"Yes! I'd love to."

He smiles and wraps his arms around me. I wrap mine around his stomach and rest my head on his chest. We just stay like that for a while, holding on to each other. And it couldn't have been better.

His warmth and scent all around me, the beauty of the lake and the moon and the darkness; it was picture perfect.  

_______________________

Sorry it's short!! But this is all that really happened at the bonfire!! :)