Chapter Twenty-Four

Riley was right. This party is boring the heck out of me.

It's not really a party, it's just dinner. We're all sitting at the tables eating and I guess when we're all done, the person who made the banner (me) is going to give it to their Senior (Kayleigh).

I really should be the one giving Addie and the senior in Pink their banners but I wasn't supposed to help anway, it was that snobby Pink's job... her job that she didn't do well and I would've fired her if I could have. Anyway, I'll let the Pink give the banners "she" made to Addie and her senior.

All of Purple is excited to see the banner, except Kayleigh of course because she doesn't even know about it. She thinks we're just having dinner.

Okay, technically, right now we are just having dinner, but the party will start soon!

Lexie and I made sure to eat really slow since when we're all finished, Kayleigh always likes to head right back to the cabin.

Kayleigh groans at us, "Will you two hurry up? You're eating like old people!"

Lexie says, "What are you talking about, Kayleigh? I always eat this pace!"

Kayleigh flips her attention to me and says, "Grace, you always eat quickly! What's going on?!"

I'm obviously not as good of a liar as Lexie is so I stutter out, "Whaat? No, pfft, no, I've, uh.. I've always been this.. slow." I shove my mouth full of food before she can make me talk anymore.

Ella and Haley look at me and have to keep from laughing. I must look like a chubby chipmunk right now with food stuffed in my cheeks. I hurry and swallow and notice Kayleigh looking around. Uh-oh.

She says, "Almost everyone's done eating and yet they don't leave?"

I answer quickly, no stuttering this time, "Maybe their socializing."

She goes to say something but I see Brady and the Pink motioning for me to come get my banner from the door.

"I, uh, have to go to the bathroom," I lie horribly again.

Before Kayleigh can protest, I'm up and going outside with Brady and the Snob. Ha.. the Snob. That's what I'm gunna call her from now on. It makes her sound like a famous evil villain.

'Oh no, someone save me from the Snob!'

I burst out laughing at the picture in my head of the Pink attacking civilians.

Brady looks back at me and asks, "What's so funny?" If I tell him I was laughing at my thoughts, like always, he would say, 'You're just that damn hilarious, huh?'

So instead, I lie, "Just imagining Kayleigh's face," when she gets attacked by the Snob, "when I give her the banner." "

Oh, yeah. Ben's not a very exciting guy. I don't really think he'll care," Brady chuckles.

"Aw," I say, "I bet he'll be happy and feel 'honored' like the people throwing the party want them to." Brady and I both laugh and then go back to walking silently beside each other to the Arts and Crafts cabin.

I especially think that Kayleigh will feel honored. I've said this so many times, but she loves camp, and the banner I know she will keep forever. Even when the glitter is almost all off and her name only says, "Kayl__g_", she will still have it.

She'll probably be the kind of person who sends her daughter or son to Camp. Am I that kind of person? Granted, I love Camp but the only reason my parents sent me here was really to be away from home so I didn't see my father while he was sick. I don't know if I'll send my children here or not. I don't need to worry about that until I actually have children and that's not going to be for a long time!