Chapter Twenty-Eight

I wake up and don't feel like moving. I don't want my summer to end. I don't want to have to wait an entire year to see most of my friends again. The only one who's going to my school with me will be Lexie. I'll go out of my way to see Riley on weekends just like I had planned on doing with Brady, but I can't go traveling every weekend to see all of my friends.

I don't want to have to go back to school and be the new girl again. I got lucky here and I had a lot of friends, but what if my school year isn't like this? What if my new school was awful and everyone loves picking on the new girl?

I sit up and look around Purple, my cabin that I adore. Suitcases are out everywhere and everything is neat and tidy. It just feels... empty. Like everyone has already left even though I can still see them here.

I'm the last awake. I switch out of my pajamas and slip on my outfit that I left out of my suitcase, jean shorts and a light purple Jedson Summer Camp t-shirt to match the outside of my cabin and my wristband. I have completely forgotten that I was even wearing this wristband because I never took it off. I'm going to have Jedson Summer Camp tan lines on my wrist. Sexy, right?

I put my pajamas into my suitcase and throw my pillow in my second suitcase. I sit on my suitcase, squishing it enough so that it zips up. I grab out a pair of flip-flops from the side pocket and realize that I am fully packed.

I frown and whisper to myself, "This is it."

I throw my hair up into a ponytail and look at the clock on the wall. It's 9:27, only around 2 and a half hours left of being at Camp. I have a lot to do in 2 and a half hours.

I put my hands in my pockets and look around the cabin. Kayleigh is taking off the sheets and blankets from her bed and the bed below it. Lexie is doing the same. I slide off my comforter and sheets from my bed and throw them in the basket that's right by the door.

I ask, "Do we remake the beds?"

Kayleigh shakes her head and says, "No, the owner never comes during the summer but he cleans up and fixes everything during the year when there isn't anyone here."

"Oh, okay."

Lexie throws her sheets and comforter into the hamper and makes it. She hops down from her bed and says, "Yeah, I'm just that good."

I laugh at her and Kayleigh does, also. Normally, we would make more jokes, but none of us are in the mood. Ella and Haley sadly walk to put their sheets and blankets in the hamper, too.

Kayleigh throws her's in the hamper and says, "I guess we should head off to breakfast." We all look around in our circle sadly. Kayleigh opens the door and walks out, knowing that we'll follow her.

For breakfast, we have pancakes. I smile thinking about the day that I spent entirely with the girls, starting with them sneaking me pancakes because I didn't wake up in time.

I quickly wipe a tear that had fallen down my cheek without my approval.

I look around and everyone is just poking at their pancakes at my table. I look around the lunchroom and see that half of the cabins didn't even show up today, Alex's cabin included.

Kayleigh says, "None of us are eating, let's just go." We all nod and get up. I look at the clock, 10:04. 1 hour and 56 minutes left. I see Kayleigh start heading back to Purple and follow again.

I catch glimpse of Brady and Riley, both also picking at their pancakes, appetites nonexistent for now.

I follow my cabin mates to the front of Purple, still the exact same as the first day I was here. Light purple on the outside like a dollhouse with a  wooden sign hanging outside of the door saying "Purple" with a heart next to it.