Chapter Six

The whole day was.. boring. Waiting for the dance, waiting for the dance. I'm going to have an anxiety attack and die. Do people die from anxiety attacks? I don't know.. but I will!

Lexie and I figured out that we're about the same size and I'm wearing a dark blue sundress of her's that has a tan belt and white flip-flops. She's wearing a pink skirt and white tank top. Kayleigh isn't planning on going to the dance. Ella and Haley wore dresses.

I havent seen Alex all day yet... and I can't wait. I shiver at the memory of us hugging to the moonlit lake. Perfect. I smile to myself.

We're walking to the main hall. We open the doors after minutes of walking and Ella and Haley fighting over who was going to dance first with some cute guy they met swimming (tanning). Lexie and I talk about our guys.

We open the doors and instead of seeing the tables, there's a disco ball, lights, a big speaker system, people dancing all over, booming music. The walls are decorated with sparkling stick-on stars (that I helped make today in Arts and Crafts). 

Ella and Haley somewhere disappeared and Lexie spots Danny and squeals.

"Girl, he looks goood," She points out to me.

"Have fun. I'll see you later." I say, smiling at her.

"Where's Alex?" She asks, getting louder because of the music.

"Not sure. Might be on his way here."

"Oh. Well, good luck! Have fun!"

"Thanks!"

She runs off and I watch her give Danny a big hug.

A slow song comes on and all of the non-couples scatter off of the dance floor. I sigh as I don't see Alex. I stand in the back fixing my dress and hair over and over again.

Danny and Lexie are slow dancing. I hear someone say from behind me, "Grace?" Alex.

I turn around and say,  "Oh.. hey." Not Alex. Brady.

"Do you wanna dance with me?"

I look to the ground. "Brady, I've told you I don't like you in that way."

"I know. Just a friendly dance."

What am I supposed to say?!

"Okay. Friendly."

I walk to the dance floor and he trails behind me. We get to mid-floor and he puts his hands on my hips. I put my arms around his neck. This isn't right. What if Addie sees me and goes all crazy again? What if Alex sees me and thinks that I like him? No, he knows that I don't. Right? Yes, he knows.

"How did you do it?" He asks.

"Do what?"

"How did you change Addie?"

"She changed?" I asked. It was obvious to me, and I'm glad he noticed, too.

"Yes. She's nice.. and sweet. And not stalkerish. Just.. funny and genuine and caring.."

He trails off and I say, "You like her."

He looks up at me, probably debating whether or not to admit it, and he chooses yes. "Yes, I do."

"I thought you liked Mandee?"

"How do you know that?"

"I talked to her in the Arts and Crafts cabin. She told me all about you."

"Oh. Well, I like her and Addie. But I like Addie more."

"Then tell her."

"What if she's not permanently changed? What if as soon as I tell her, she goes back to being her old creepy self?"