Chapter Sixteen

I smooth down my black strapless dress that has a silver ribbon below below my bust. I slip on my black simple heels and finish curling my hair. 

My mother walks in behind me and asks, "Are you ready?"

We admire ourselves in the mirror whilst she puts her arm around me. "You look beautiful." She says, looking at the dress special for my father's funeral.

"Thank you. So do you."

She has her long brown hair that is the same as mine curled slightly with a black headband and a black long sleeved dress that goes to her knees. She has on black heels almost exactly like mine.

She grabs my hand and says, "Let's go, honey."

The car ride was not enjoyable at all. When you're driving to a funeral, how could it be enjoyable?

My mother and I remain silent for the entire twenty minute ride. I can't say that it bugged me since I had so much on my mind.

This is the first time that I'm going to see my father the entire summer, and he's not going to be alive. I remember him smiling while carrying in boxes into our new big, yellow, house and admiring the beach from our big window with an amazing view.

How many of my friends from camp are going to be there? I never really invited many people, since I still haven't been speaking. I invited Riley and Riley invited Brady. I would have invited him myself, but he still hasn't been around me. He must know that today is the funeral, right? What if he is still avoiding me and doesn't even show?

Grace, don't think like that. What kind of boyfriend would not show up to their girlfriend's father's funeral? I look down at my beautiful, amethyst and diamond ring. He better be there.

Why am I worrying about Brady? I should be worrying about my family and what they will think of me. They'll expect stories of what he looked like and what was going on the past month or so while my father was slowly dying.

What am I supposed to say? "Oh, sorry, I can't answer any questions. I was at a summer camp, kissing hot boys, dating some of the ones I kissed, making friends and enemies, getting into all sorts of drama while my dad was dying. Sorry. Ask my mom! She had to endure all of it by herself because I was too stubborn to leave camp! I'm sure she would love to answer questions."

We arrive and I instantly see Lexie and Danny, Kayleigh and Riley, and Brady. Brady did come, why did I even doubt him? They are all standing around a bowl of free mints but drop the mints, stand and watch whilst my mother and I pass.

I want to just go give them all huge hugs but I must stay with my mother for this. If I leave her side, we will probably both break down.

I see my father's body laying still in his coffin with whíte silk decorating the inside. A tear falls down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away.

I keep thinking to myself that he is just asleep. He's taking a nice peaceful nap and soon enough, he'll be awake and he'll be calling me his babygirl and we'll go home and make cookies like we always do.

No, Grace. He isn't coming back, he isn't waking up. He's permanently asleep... and that's the hardest part to think about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I laugh while my cousin, Jordan, tells stories of when he and my father went fishing once and they tipped the boat over and swam for their lives because they were scared of the catfish. That sounds exactly like my father. I don't know Jordan well, but he and my dad were pretty close.

My mother tells stories of when I was born, my father could not have been happier. When I took my first steps, he cried, and at my first play in kindergarten he was so proud of me. She tells of when I got my pet bunny named Bunny (yes, very creative) my dad always fed him when I forgot to.