The Gathering

When Vada passed beneath the arch that led to Riska's upper village, her sure steps faltered

Not only had the village of nobles been restored, it had been improved.

New buildings lined the centre square, above which white streamers were hung from one side to the other and beautifully crafted lanterns hung on high posts, waiting to be lowered for lighting when the sunset on the horizon.

When Vada stepped into the square, coming fully into the light, a loud horn sounded and all eyes turned to her.

'Chieftess Vada of the Pyrite Clan,' the town crier announced to the assembled crowd of finely dressed foreign clansmen and women.

Vada found herself suddenly frozen, she hadn't expected to be confronted with the majority of the mountain Chieftains and their large, lavish entourages so suddenly. Trapped within their assessing gazes she suddenly felt more like a fraud than ever before.

Standing tall and proud to Vada's left, Bram scanned the crowd. His father stood out, easily the tallest and broadest of the men assembled, a proud warrior to the end he wore armour even to attend this peaceful meeting of the Clan Chieftains.  Though Brams burning gaze bored into him, Chief Han'ril was oblivious to his firstborn son, his fierce frown was fixed only on Vada.

Following his fathers gaze Bram looked to his Chieftess to find her staring wide-eyed and unsure while the nobles formed a glittering, colourfully adorned wall directly ahead of her.

Cas began to move towards his sister but as a Chief's son, even an unacknowledged one, Bram knew it would be a mistake should Cas intervene. The nobles would see the younger heir as stronger and reject Vada as a leader, rallying against her.

Any gesture could be misconstrued but ultimately Cas had to be the most careful. Therefore with one long stride, Bram stepped up to Vada placing his large hand on the small of her back.

'After you, Chieftess,' he said, nudging her forward ever so slightly.

Bram's deep husky words grated against her sensitive nerves, goosebumps erupted up her arms and on the back of her neck as his breath fanned across her skin. Against her better judgement, Vada turned to her councilman to meet his intense gaze. Memories of moonlight flashed through her mind sending a shock of electricity up her spine so suddenly and so sharply that she jerked away, immediately breaking all contact.

'It's an honour to meet you all here today,' She called out, desperately trying to ignore the way her heart pounded within her chest and her mind raced with all manner of confusing thoughts, 'I hope we can move forward in peace and co-operation. I look forward to forging long-lasting, mutually beneficial, relationships with all of our neighbouring clans!'

Bram smirked when he heard Vada's familiar words, but her cold reaction to his gesture hung in the back of his mind, taunting him as he surveyed the array of hungry young eyes targeting his Chieftess.