The Element of Destruction

The Grasslanders had been driven back to the very edge of the lower village by the time Vada and her siblings arrived

The Grasslanders had been driven back to the very edge of the lower village by the time Vada and her siblings arrived. The guard, led by Vin, were fighting wounded in an effort to hold back the enemy.

'Vin!' Cas roared, incensed by the sight of Vin's hunched stance and bloodied uniform. Flames ignited along the skin of his shoulders and back, crawled down his arms and enveloped his hands. His sisters jumped back in surprise.

'How is he doing that?' Dani whispered as she watched her brother melting the weapons of his enemies as he tore up the battlefield in blind rage.

'I'm not sure even he knows, but I feel like he's losing control-' As Vada spoke her brother swiped a clawed hand across the chest of one of their own Guard, 'we have to get in there.'

Dani moved like the wind, the most sinewy and nimble of the three siblings, she easily evaded enemy strikes before surprising them with her retaliation. Just as Cas summoned flames, Dani produced winds that whipped at her enemies, gathering them up in a spin and whirling them away through the air. As she did so a broad grin stretched across her face and delight danced in her eyes.

Vada, on the other hand, charged the Grasslanders like a battering ram, a single slam of her foot caused the earth to split and shake, rocks the size of her fists circled her body until she sent them rocketing towards her targets who scrambled to avoid the deadly projectiles. The earth itself felt like an extension of her own body.

Working her way across the battlefield Vada kept a keen eye on her brother who burnt the earth all around him, all the while his amber eyes glowed menacingly.

'We have to stop him,' Vada called out spinning left and right in search of her little sister, 'Dani!' she cried in a panic, her brothers rage momentarily forgotten when she couldn't immediately locate the youngest of their clan.

In the distance, she spotted a frail ghostly figure down on one knee and surrounding by looming, leering Grasslanders. Vada hesitated but the battle continued. Blood soaked the earth, so much so that the sickly sweet stink of it stung Vada's now highly sensitive nose.

'Vada,' her name was spoken so quietly that she thought the person calling must have be close by as she heard the voice so clearly. However, looking around she found she was given a wide berth by all, but in the distance, she caught the gaze of Takashi and watched his lips move as he said, 'I'll protect Dani, stop your brother.'

A mix of emotions rose within her then, she was angry that she needed his help, furious at the way he spoke about her brother, even though she could literally feel the way that Cas lost more control with every passing moment.

Nobody had saved the kids when they were weak and starving, she had been their mother and father and now, when they needed her the most she was failing them. Despite her small stature, Vada's body summoned a furious roar that silenced the battlefield, Cas seemed to whimper in pain as the sound battered his senses and he fell to his knees, disorientated and suddenly weak as though the sound sapped all of his strength.

Dani could sustain herself no longer and fell in a crumpled heap on the ground palms pressed flat against her ears.

'I'd run if I were you,' Vada growled, seconds later the field cracked and great gorges appeared. The earth once again rolled like the sea.