The Dragons Out of the Bag

'Take aim!' A familiar voice boomed

Vada wasted no more time breaking free of Uldrin, muttering a sorry as he hit the floor.

Turning towards the voice she found Chief Han'ril standing behind a long line of his people, all dressed in the same blue tunics, leather cuffs and shining silver armour. They each held a bow aloft, cocked and ready to fire. 

'On my word men, wait until its wings are open to their full span!' Han'ril instructed.

'No, don't!' Vada yelled, running towards the men. 'He isn't hostile!' 

'You boy,' Han'ril snapped to the young man directly in front of him, 'take aim at the woman!'

'But, sir,' The young man protested despite shifting his aim with shaking hands, 'she's... she's a Chieftess-'

'She's a commoner playing dress up!'

The great shadow that swathed the square grew in size as the dragon moved higher into the sky, out of reach of the arrows aimed at his torso.

'Fire now, before it gets too high!' Han'ril raged.

'No!' Vada roared as a cluster of arrows was released into the sky.

As the arrows soared into the sky Aegar stretched his wings wide, pulling them back as far as was possible. As the projectiles had almost reached him, Aegar brought both his wings together creating a forceful clap of wind that thundered towards the earth, sending the arrows rocketing back to their owners.

As the arrows rained down upon the square the nobles scattered for shelter and guards rushed to protect their Chief's. Vada stared up at Aegar, searching for any sign that his defence had been penetrated.

In the chaos, the young Junketta  warrior aiming at Vada received a knock to his back, he stumbled forwards and his hand slipped, releasing his arrow.

The arrowhead slammed into Vada's shoulder, stunned and unsteady on her feet she looked down, eyes wide and brow furrowed.

The wound began to throb as Vada heard her name called out, seemingly from every direction.

'I'm fine,' She mumbled, taking hold of the arrow. The stinging increased when she wrapped her hand around the wooden shaft and she hissed in response.

Aegar landed with a thud while Bram, Cas and Vin pushed through the panic to reach Vada.

'Remove the weapon and you will heal, Kin,' Aegar instructed.

Vada attempted to tug the arrow from her shoulder but she found that her grip was weakening and her legs felt suddenly hollow.

'I... I think there's something wrong...' Vada mumbled, swaying where she stood, '...with this arrow.'

'Arrest Chief Han'ril and his warriors immediately!' The familiar voice of Takashi boomed. He snaked his arm around Vada's waist and her body fell into his, he lowered to the ground, careful not to disturb the arrow protruding from her chest.