On The Brink of War

Pria scanned the horizon, as did Aegar, but his eyes were narrowed and he growled steadily

Pria scanned the horizon, as did Aegar, but his eyes were narrowed and he growled steadily. Pria searched for the source of his bubbling aggression but she saw only hills and trees. All was quiet and still.

It wasn't only Aegar's obvious awareness of some invisible danger that unsettled Pria, it was the energy that rolled off him in great swathes.

Previously, Pria had only ever happened upon ancients with such strength. Aegar was no ancient. He was young, a hatchling, she guessed. Perhaps he wasn't so powerful, she thought as she watched him from the corner of her eye.

Aegar leaned forward on his perch, craning his head beyond the wall as far as he could without upsetting his balance.

Could it merely be that his power was still raw due to his youth, Pria wondered, all the while Aegar was oblivious to her assessing gaze as his eyes narrowed further.

Suddenly, and without offering Pria explanation, Aegar launched himself from the wall and soared away towards the large cluster of trees outside the village. Despite the loud flap of Aegar's wide wingspan, Pria caught the distinct sound of human conversation rise up on the wind.

Mystery solved, she thought. As the words floated through her mind the the young kin soul that sought shelter within her shining scales, began to stir.

Dani's presence had rapidly risen to the surface of Pria's consciousness since the Chieftess fell silent. She stirred with sorrow and wrestled for control. Pria could feel Dani's anguish begin to turn to frantic desperation the longer her gaze was averted from the Chieftess. The feeling was so uncomfortable that Pria turned her mismatched eyes back to the flower mound hoping it would calm the Kin's spirit. 

'Tell me what is happening to my sister, Pria.' Dani's familiar, yet seldom heard voice echoed from the distant edges of the dragons mind. 

'You have slept so soundly all this time young one, do not worry this way, you'll waste your strength,' Pria replied, laying her large body across the wall, elongating her neck until her head rested comfortably beside the mound that housed Vada. 

'The water kin, Bram, tell me about him,' Dani persisted.

Pria could feel the young souls agitation rising, bubbling within her like a cauldron over heat. The dragon squirmed and snorted, shaking her head as though she could dislodge the opposing personality.

To have two identities in one housing was a difficult situation to navigate, winds could mingle easily when they were in harmony with one another, but a little turbulence could very quickly upset the balance and create chaos. 

'He is a good match for the Chieftess,' Pria relented, 'in many ways.'

In the distance, still hovering over the thick green canopy of the forest that bordered the valley, Aegar let out a mighty roar that sent a flurry of feathered beasts flying from their nests to seek safety elsewhere.