Blood and Stone

Vada refused to be dragged along the ground, degraded the way her father was

Vada refused to be dragged along the ground, degraded the way her father was. Instead she walked tall with her head high while the eyes of the gathered crowd followed her. She had expected to see a gathering baying for her blood, calling eagerly for her death. The onlookers only looked over her with pity, a few didn't watch her at all, they kept their wary eyes fixed on the Highpriest's sinister smile. He seemed to be salivating with pleasure at the mere sight of his prey being led to slaughter. Though she wanted to be brave, Vada couldn't help the quiver in her legs and the swirling sickening, burning bile that rose up in her throat at the sight of his glimmering blade

The steadily rising sun broke over the walls of the upper village, bright, slightly blinding light poured into the square. Vada's skin tingled in response to the gentle caress of the golden rays. The day seemed too good go die, she suddenly thought, basking in the warm light. Her heart gave a heavy beat and her steps slowed to a stop alongside the prince's, hope blossomed in her chest even though her mind wailed against such foolishness.

There could be no escape.

Standing on the small stone dias in affluent, colourful robes, much more impressive than the rest of his brotherhood, the High Priest glared at the stationary party of guards. His bloodshot gaze flickered between Vada and the young Riska prince. The sickening smile he had worn only moments ago had fallen and now, with his jaw clenched tightly, his lips were pressed firmly together forming a pale, cracked line across his stony countenance.

Behind the dais the other princes stood in all their glory, a line of four tall intimidating warrior's, aside from the twins, each was very different in their appearance but the one thing that they all shared was a thick crop of striking blond hair. In the very centre of his sons stood the Chief, though grey with age, the presence of his strong jaw was evident in his sons and proudly proved their lineage. The Chief wore an elaborate gilt crown and the richest robes Vada had ever seen, but his face looked chalky even in the bright rays of the day, tones of grey painted his complexion and he leaned heavily on an ornately carved cane for support.

'Vada Pyrite, heathen daughter of Jaxon Pyrite, today you will return to your father and in doing so, release the dragons from his curse!' The Highpriest bellowed, his eyes bulging maniacally as he did so. Veins arose on his neck and forehead as his fist tightened around his ceremonial blade, turning his knuckles white.

From the corner of her eye, Vada noticed Takashi had turned to look at her, his expression was awash with guilt and his skin a little green.

'Highpriest Menos, this can't be-' Takashi began to protest, but the priest was stubborn in his mission.

'You see good people,' he cut in, 'one eve with the poison of the Pyrite clan and our dearest prince questions the priesthood. Guards, I command you to remove him, we must protect the clarity of his mind!'

The power of the Highpriest was clear as the guards rushed forward without protestation. Takashi resisted, thrashing left and right but unwilling to raise arms against his own men. Vada watched his struggle for a moment before walking towards the priest, desperate to prove the madness that guided her people even if payment was her own soul.