New Arrivals

Emerging from the woods, walking alongside Bram in an uncomfortable stony silence, Vada was met with a strange sight

On the crest of the hill, a bobbing orange light appeared in the darkness and proceeded down the long path towards Pyrite Village.

Another appeared seconds later, then another, and then Vada heard the sound of rumbling wooden wheels grinding errant stones as they rolled down the hill towards her. 

A long line slowly formed and at first, Vada thought that soldiers were marching on her home, But they would not announce themselves if they had the advantage of the night, she quickly realised. 

'What now,' Bram groaned as he and Vada picked up their pace to head of their visitors.

Vada took up a proud position in the centre of the road and waited patiently for the wagons to rock to a slow stop only a few feet away. The head of the long line waited until his comrade had also stopped and fallen silent before speaking.

'We must see the Dragonkin Chieftess!' He announced, his voice rang with a desperation that shot straight to Vada's soul and sent shivers down her spine.

'Then you are in luck,' She replied, 'for here I stand before you!'

The orange orbs sank suddenly, bobbing just above the ground as the assembly took to their knees. Many broke down, sobbing and calling out their pleas but Vada was so overwhelmed by the flood of sorrow that assaulted her sense that she was unable to decipher their words. 

Dizzy with the sensory overload Vada raised her right hand in the air to call for silence as she swayed on the spot. Bram aided her balance by placing a steadying hand under her other arm. 

'We are not all Kin, but many of our children are, and they are dying!' The man announced, 'please Chieftess, word of your power has spread across Rystwith, please save our children!' 

Switching her sight Vada observed the crowd to find a mix of bright, shimmering human orbs, equally beautiful, healthy kin orbs and among them, fading blue wisps so delicate she feared the slightest wind would blow out their light for good. 

'Come inside!' Vada instructed, spinning on the balls of her feet to hurry through the gaping gateway where she was swallowed by the shadows. Bram chased after her as the wagons began to roll. Hearing his heavy footsteps catch up to her she added, 'light the torches, I will awaken Ryke.'

-

Vada knelt at the bedside of a small boy, holding his limp hand in hers and stroking her warm fingers across his ghostly pale skin, willing her strength into his body. He did not stir at her gentle, comforting touch and his breath didn't grow stronger in response to her useless wishes.

Beds had quickly been set up in one of the newly constructed, and now commandeered houses. Six beds occupied the two rooms on the second floor while four more had to be erected in what would have been the living room.