Recovery and Revelations

With the arrow removed Vada was left alone to sleep and recover

With the arrow removed Vada was left alone to sleep and recover. Occasionally Marin would return to check on her, placing a cold hand against Vada's forehead while muttering under her breath about a fool.

Vada drifted in and out of consciousness but didn't leave her bed until darkness had fallen the next day. With a groan she forced herself into a sitting position, her body screamed in protest but she fought through the pain. Marin had changed her clothes, unfortunately it appeared she had dressed her in one of Dani's nightgowns. Though Dani had always worn her clothes a little bigger, so that they would last longer, it was still a tad on the snug side for the curvaceous Chieftess.

As Vada walked down the stairs the creaking of the wood joined the crackle of the fire and the heavy, steady breathing of a sleeping Bram who was sprawled in one of the armchairs by the fireplace.

'He hasn't left,' Cas mumbled, stretching his body as he rose from his seat. 'Takeshi and Uldrin stopped by but Bram turned them away, I can't say I blame him, their father did screw us over again-'

'What do you mean?' Vada interrupted, feeling suddenly light-headed. Cas took her hand and guided her to the seat he had been using.

The chair was so warm and it's pelts so soft, Vada was struggled to stay awake as the comfort enveloped her aching body.

'Han'ril was found innocent,' Cas replied with clenched fists of flame, 'the Chiefs decreed that Han'ril reacted to a perceived threat, which was his right and that your injury was accidental.'

'I see,' Vada replied, staring into the flames of the fireplace to avoid her brother's furious gaze. She knew he would not welcome what she was about to say. 'I know you're angry Cas but they're right-'

'What! He was hoping for a reason to stand against us, he smirked through the whole trial!'

'That may be the case, but he isn't stupid Cas. Aegar gave him the perfect excuse to be hostile, he knew he would get away with it,' Vada explained, 'and, to be fair, I was shot accidentally. That poor warrior was shaking from head to toe when he was told to aim at me.'

'That isn't the point!'

'Yes, it is Cas,' Vada insisted, 'they can't find him guilty without grounds to. Han'ril would muster a rebellion against us and whoever sided with our clan. We are not invincible.'

Vada indicated her bandaged shoulder, despite the pain she could feel it healing much quicker than a humans wound would but she didn't want to find out what kind of wound proved fatal for the Dragon Kin.

'Aegar insists that the arrow wouldn't have been a problem had it not been poisoned,' Cas explained, he had begun to pace. Vada noted the worry and strain in his young face with a heavy heart, realising how much he feared losing her, she wondered how much more protective he would become when she told him that Dani had left the land of the living, alone and at the hands of Menos.