A Sudden Surprise

Diya massaged her temples while Bram paced back and forth across the room in front of her, mumbling to himself

Though she still resided in the bunkhouses, many had moved out into their permanent homes so there were fewer beds and more space to set up a cosy home, and she made every effort to. She hoped she too would have a house of her own one day but she wasn't the only one without, and therefore resolved to make the best of things.

Sitting cross-legged on an old blanket gifted to her by one of the older women of the village, Diya worked hard weaving a large basket that would serve as her unborn child's first bed.

The thought of meeting her child filled her chest with warmth and her eyes with tears of joy. Caressing her swollen stomach with her sore fingers Diya gazed around the space reserved for her in the bunkhouse and sighed at the sight of her second-hand belongings.

In a basket by the bed was a selection of donated baby clothes, they all needed a thorough cleaning and many also required repair.

'What on earth is your problem!' Diya suddenly yelled, surprising even herself with the outburst.

Bram stopped short and stared at her confused, he had been ranting for a good twenty minutes.

'Vada-'

'Of course!' Diya exploded again, throwing her arms up in exasperation, 'why did I even ask!'

'Diya, I'm thinking about the welfare of the village-'

'Wherever she went, she took a guard, like you and Vin wanted. She has done nothing wrong and yet here you stand in a rage!'

'She took Tye, the Junketta tribesmen who shot her with an arrow!'

'Tye,' Diya began, trying to control her volume, 'the same Tye that YOU said was a very impressive warrior?'

'Well yes...' Bram replied uncertainly, adding, 'but he was a Junketta-'

'As were we!' Diya snapped yet again, cursing herself for her lack of emotional restraint. The baby was messing with her in many strange ways as of late, but truth be told, she felt that Bram needed to be set straight.

'You wouldn't defend her if you knew-' Bram chuntered under his breath, turning away from her to scowl at the wall.

'Knew what?' Diya frowned.

'It doesn't matter-'

'Tell me now or so help me, I'll walk out of this village and never look back!' Diya raged, struggling to her feet, wincing as a pain shot down her left leg, almost making it buckle.

'She went to meet Rivik...' Bram turned slowly but he couldn't look the heavily pregnant girl in the eye when he blurted 'He kissed her!'

Diya sucked in a sharp breath holding it in as she felt her heart break painfully. She turned Bram's words over and over in her mind while he stood watching her apprehensively, wondering what she would do next.