C H A P T E R T H I R T Y - F O U R

"Doesn't matter cause it's enough
To be young and in love."

- Lana Del Rey

▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

Two More Chapters Left ;)
Well for Anisha at least

▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼ ▼▲▼▲▼▲▼▲▼

Andrew stood up, lips pressed as Sebastian turned to face him.

"Her vitals are fine." Sebastian paused, almost wanting to disregard Anisha's request to go home. But that was her choice to make, not his. "I'll fill out the discharge papers. She should be able to go home tonight. We can wait for her to wake up."

Sebastian fisted his hands, stuffing them into the pockets of his green scrubs. "I've told you this before and I'll tell you again. Anisha's good at pretending. She might not act like it but the pain's killing her."

He glanced over to Anisha, she lay asleep, weak, bony and frail.

A slight laugh escaped his lips. Almost regretfully as he realized how hard life really was, how ironic life was.

Twenty years ago, he'd walked out on Anisha. Simply because his sister had been sick. And now, twenty years later, he was standing by Anisha's bedside as she struggled against the same thing his sister had. 

"The cancer's killing her." He ran a hand through his hair, his vision clouding with tears and his chest, it felt heavy, too tight. 

Sebastian took a few steps, standing right beside her bed. He took her hand, simply holding onto her.

"You know I'm supposed to be professional." He looked up at Andrew, the room silent and tense. "I've done this so many times before. I've told patients good news and bad news. A countless number of times, I've stood in this exact room knowing that my patient wasn't going to make it."

"But this time, this time it's different." Sebastian let go of Anisha's hand, resting it on her stomach. She was sound asleep. Peacefully. Unaware of the two hearts that were breaking around her, because of her.

"I've said this so many times." He shook his head, his voice quavering. "Fuck, she doesn't deserve this. And that, it's just unfair."

"But that's life." Sebastian shrugged, glancing at Anisha for the last time. Innocent eyes, shy smile, nervously as she sat down next to him on the first day of general chem lab. 

"Some people get lucky and other people don't. That's what they say don't they? Everyone will tell you that it's all a just a part of life." 

"That's bullshit and even you know that." Andrew's voice was hoarse. His gaze was set on Anisha but every few seconds he would glance up at Sebastian.

"I know." Sebastian paused, glancing at the monitor. Her vitals hadn't changed. But they weren't the best either. Respiration and pulse, they were too low. "But that is life. It doesn't stop. You can't change things, no matter how much you want to. You can't take back the things you've said and done. You can't undo your mistakes. Maybe you don't have to undo them, you just have to learn from them."

"Because in the end, life just keeps on moving forward. Everything can change so fast. And life, it just happens so fast." Sebastian turned around, walking out of the room. He paused, his hand on the door knob. "I guess sometimes, everything changes too fast. And you can't do anything but sit there and watch as everything slips away from you. But life, people, the world around, it keeps pushing forward."