My Little Sunshine

( Angst )

     In a future world, war broke out between aliens and the human race. In a last hope to save the world, the last surviving humans escaped through the dead of night into the woods. But little did they know, they were being followed...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     Alex, John, Lafayette, Mulligan, Peggy, Eliza, and George Washington briskly felt their way through the maze of fallen trees and roots. They made no noice other than the crunch of the decaying leaves they stepped on, occasionally looking behind them to see if anyone had followed them. Not yet.

     Before the end of the world they were best friends, inseparable almost. Alex had began to feel things around John. Like butterflies every time he would smile or the way his heart left a sound of John's name. Now his only goal was to survive with John and not get killed. But John did not know Alex liked him. John acted as if Alex didn't exist. If only Alex saw the way John looked at him once his backed was turned. If only Alex noticed all the subtle hints John had dropped or the way John always looked after Alexander with such passion...but they both were clueless.  They both thought the other would never feel the same way.

     Ever since the apocalypse John and Alex's relationship has only gotten worse. For some reason the quit talking to each other and would never look the other directly in the eye. They started to resent one another, scoffing every time one of them would make a remark. they used to be best friends, there were no secrets between them and they used to go to each other for everything. The rest of the group had noticed. They figured John and Alex needed more time and it would later fold out. It never did. And it never will.

     Alex held his one shot pistol close to his chest as he followed behind George Washington, who led the group, The girls followed next while the guys held up the back, perfectly planned. They didn't know where they were going but they needed to rest. George was quick to realize that they all were exhausted and needed rest sooner or later. But they were in the middle of the woods with no shelter, no protection, no food, no ammo, and no water supply. Crap. Washington stopped. Alex slammed into the back of him causing him to fall back on his butt with a loud thud while the girls tried to hold back laughter.

"We will stop here for the night."

"But we're in the middle of nowhere!" Alex cried regaining his posture.

"I said we will stop here for the night! I'd rather stay here than die to the aliens. So do as I say."

"Yes sir." Alex mumbled coldly as he sat down on a near by log rubbing his bruised butt. Mulligan sat next to him and patted his shoulder while Lafayette sat on the other side. John leaned on a near by tree while watching something in the distance. The rest went off in search of supplies. Alex grunted.

"It's always 'do as I say' or 'Alex do this' or 'Alex do that'. I am so freaking tired of him."

"Dude your going to have to get used to it if we are going to survive together." Mulligan retorted leaning his head into his hands.

"Yeah, Yeah, I know." Alex looked over at John who looked like a complete badass. His pants were ripped and stained with blood. His leather belt around his waist was loaded with guns. His hair was slightly parted, revealing his freckles and gazing eyes. Alex couldn't help but stare. There was a few things Alex loved in this world, one of them was music, the other was John. Alex looked down and sighed. If only things didn't have to be so complicated.

"Alexander it's going to be alright." Lafayette said seeing the way he stared at John. "Just think of the good times."

"Pfff, like what?"

"OK ummm... how about the time when we all went out that one night and sat around a campfire while drinking beer with Burr."

"Ha, yeah, Burr. Good thing he was the first to die." Alex giggled at himself. Mulligan laughed.

"Or when we went to that party with all the cute girls...and guys. We are reliable with the ladies!"

"Yeah right flower girl!" Lafayette laughed pushing Mulligan slightly getting a blush out of him. Alex heard John chuckle and he remembered the conversation they had that night. Alex was about to tell him...but never got the chance.

     Suddenly John perked up and placed his hand down on one of his guns. He shushed them all and crossed one of the trees looking into the silence of night. Alex looked up and knew something was off, the air didn't feel right.

"Do you feel that?" Lafayette said standing up getting his gun out.

"Y-"

Alex was intterupted by the loud bang of a gun and John was on the ground in seconds. There was more gun shots as Alex burst into action.

"They found us!" He screamed as he rushed over to help John. There were 9 bullet holes total inside of John. 2 in his heart, the rest in his stomach. There was screams over heard but they all seemed a blur to Alex as he looked at John. His face became pale and lifeless and his hands went limp.

"No no no. Please no." Alex said lifting John into his lap as tears began to crawl down his face. John looked up at him.

"NO NO, John buddy, your going to get through this. Stay with me John!" There were more shouts and screams and shots. Some of which were Alex's.

"A-Alex."

"No John. You are going to live. Your going to make it. Come on we need to find help." He began to lift John up but was stopped by John himself.

"It's to late." John said faintly, lifting his hand to Alex's cheek caressing it softly. "Just give up."

"No, NO! Don't say that John. Never say that. We are going to live!" Alex screamed the words as hot tears ran down his face. John rocked his head slowly and looked at Alex one last time.

"Remember that song... we used t-to sing when we were little Alex." He mumbled while blood began to role out of his mouth on to his neck.

"John, I don't think this is the best time." Alex said slowly rubbing his hand over John's arm.

"Y-you are my...sunshine." John faintly sang while more blood seeped out of his mouth. Alex's eyes were covered in tears and John's shirt was stained with them. Alex gave a small smile while he creased John's cheek.

"My only sunshine." Alex sang back. John smiled weakly.

"You make me h-happy when...skies are grey." Alex cried harder, soaked in John's blood.

"You don't know how much...I love you." Alex whispered as John smiled for the last time.

"P-pleace..." He stroked Alex's cheek looking into his tear stained eyes."...don't take my sunshine...away." He whispered falling limp in Alex's arms. Everything went quite. There was no more gun shots and no more shouts. The only thing heard that night was Alex's screams...