I Wanna Go Home

"I...just wanna go home." John received a pat on the back as he folded up the letter by Alex he just received. The night fireflies hung in the air loosely and the moonlight casts an Eire glow over their campfire. The desert around them was filled with crawling insect and the noise of crickets filled their ears. John and his buddies stared into the fire as though it was going to bring them back home again but they all knew good thing won't last long. Being stationed in Afghanistan (over a thousand miles away from Alex) has not been an easy thing to get used to.

Ever since John had left, Alex had and still is writing his letters every week. He would open the small army mail box and it would be stuffed full of letters and pictures from his lover that would at least be twenty pages long. Then John would write Alex back as many letters as he possibly could and send them across the ocean. Every night he and his army buddies sat around the campfire telling stories of their wife's or girlfriends or past lovers and their favorite memories about home and their family's.

Sometimes John would read aloud the funny parts of letters that Alex had written him and they all would laugh and continue telling stories or they would sing along to old army songs or just stare up at the sky wondering what their family was doing now and if they would ever able to go home again.

"It's ok John. I'm sure you'll get to go home soon." Roger said, taking a seat next to him on an old tin box. John wiped away a tear and put the letter in his pocket.

"Pfft, yeah right. I just....miss him so much ya know? I-i can't explain it. I love him so much and every minute without him hurts." He sighed. He only needed a Miracle to happen. That's all. A sudden burst of gunfire brought all of them out of their fuzzy daze.

"WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!" A man shouted through the trashed speakers. Men frantically rushed out of their tents with guns in hand ready to fight. There were more gunshots as men around John fell to the ground and something wet ousted out of their dead bodies. John grabbed his gun and followed the other men towards the front lines. There were more gunshots.

By the light of his tiny desk lamp, Alex scribbled down on a blank piece of paper only to get frustrated and crumble it up into a ball and throw it in the trash can. He grunted out loud and started on a new piece of paper only to crumble it up again. Their goes his one-hundredth pice! He laid his arms and head sprawled out on the desk and sighed as a little tear found its way onto his desk.

Damn it, John. All he wanted for him was to come home and be safe again. He had written John for over two weeks and had gotten no reply. John usually would have sent at least 30letters by now but...nothing. And of course, this made Alex completely worried. He called the base a million times and they only told his the same response every time: "Call back later." CALL BACK LATER! His boyfriend was at stake here and all they said was call back later!? He wanted to punch that person so hard that they wouldn't be able to see for a week. He clenched his fists and grabbed his phone. 1 more try. 1. more. try. The phone rang three times. An answering machine picked up.

"I'm sorry this site is currently unavailable please-" He chucked the phone across his room.
"I need a drink."

The bar was empty. The door chimed as Alex entered and took a seat on a bar stool.

"What it be today Alex?" The bartender offered, putting away an empty mug

"The hard stuff."

"You got it." He pulled out a shot and filled it with whiskey. Alex cupped his fingers around it savoring its sweet smell. He remembered when he and John would come here every night and dance the night away. He remembered the smell of beer and wine against John's military jacket Alex so loved to wear. He remembered the neon lights and the old stuffy air that once filled the bar. Now that seemed like a century ago. A black figure sat beside him.

"Hey cutie, whatcha doing out here all alone." The man curled his hand over Alex's cheek. The smell of alcohol was strong on his breath and a thick mustache curled under his nose. Not John. "You wanna come back to my place and I could...help you?" The man licked his lips.

"In your dreams. I have a boyfriend." The man played with Alex's hair and whispered.
"Nobody needs to know." Alex rolled his eyes and caught the bartenders attention. That had been through this before. Not having your big, sexy, and tough military boyfriend here made things a lot different. He turned to the man.

"No thank you." He pushed the man off the stool as he landed with a loud thump the bartender flew himself on the man and managed to pin his hands behind his back. The bartender then proceeded to throw him out with an "f you" and the slam of the door. Alex settled down with his drink again.

"Thanks...again."

"Hey, it happens."

Another dark figure sat on the stool next to Alex's. He mentally groaned.

"Hey, I thought I told you n-" The man turned around.

"Might if I join you?"

Alex's mouth hung open. It was John. John! He was right there! A real person! His boyfriend! He saw his ocean blue eyes and his sexy smile that made Alex melt all most instantly and his same fluffy hair.

"John? John!" Then he smaked him. Hard. Enough to send him looking at Alex like he had gone completely mad.

"What the hell John! I sent you a thousand letters and you haven't replied to any of them!"

"Babe?" John rubbed his hand over Alex's cheek who was full on crying now.

"I-I missed you." John hugged Alex. It wasn't a normal hug though. It was a huge full of love and loneliness. It was a hug that both of them had been dreaming about for over a year now. It was a hug that told both of them, "I'm home...I'm never going to leave again." It was a hug that fixed their brokenness. It was a hug that fixed everything.

"I'm never going to leave again!"

"I know, I know." Alex smelled beer and wine on John's old jacket.

He was home.