Lifeline (part 1)

Ezra was strolling around Yavin 4. He had recently found out that he had no missions today and decided to do a bit of training out in the jungle. He got to the speeders when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned his head and saw somebody who, although respected in the Rebellion, really got on his nerves.

"Hey, Ezra," the person said, "What are you doing?"

"Hi, Wedge," Ezra responded, "I'm just heading out to the jungle to do a bit of training."

"That's great."

Ezra had intended to end the conversation there, but Wedge just stood there and wouldn't leave.

"What do you want?" he asked him at last.

"Oh," he replied, "I just want to know your feelings about. . . a certain Mandalorian."

Ezra rolled his eyes and responded with, "She's the best." He then roared away on his speeder into the jungle.

Wedge removed a small orb, which was recording the exchange, from his belt and played back some of the audio. He played the conversation back but deleted his voice from the recording.

Voice synthesizer, he thought, ready. Now, hopefully she can get some of her audio.

On the other side of the base, Sabine was overlooking a stone pylon. She had already painted over half of those that she saw, and yet for this one inspiration seemed to escape her. Her thoughts were only on one person: a certain Jedi. She had grown a bit of a liking to him. He had saved her more times than she could count and he also matured a lot from when she first met him. In fact, though she wouldn't admit it to his face, started to develop a thing for him.

She was brought out of her thoughts by a voice.

"Hello, Sabine." the voice said.

Sabine turned around and saw a woman. She must have been a new recruit, because she didn't recognize her.

"Uh," she replied, "hi? I'm sorry, but who are you."

The woman was slightly shorter than she was. And had so blonde it was nearly white hair. She looked like she was from Naboo or Correllia or one of the countless temperate planets.

"Oh," she replied, "my name is Ardé. (DISCLAIMER: as far as I know, there is no one in canon or legends named Ardé)"

"Um..." Sabine was at a loss for words, "nice to meet you. I guess."

"So," Ardé said after a few moments of silence, "whatcha doing?"

"Trying to paint," she said.

Sabine then decided to paint the Ghost flying into battle flanked by x-wings.

She took her paint and began. During that time, Ardé had left and unclipped her own voice recording orb. She strolled into the hangar and saw her first friend in the Rebellion.

"Did you get her voice?" he asked her.

"Once we get our voices synthesized to theirs," she said, "then you, Wedge, will have Sabine. And I. . . Oh, Ezra, he will be mine."

Ezra felt a disturbance when he was about half way to the training site. As if something would happen if he didn't do something. He removed from his belt a holo-recorder.

"Sabine. . ."

Elsewhere

Sabine had finished her painting, but still couldn't shake him from her mind. She had a feeling that some things were now in motion that would shatter something. A relationship, a family bond, perhaps. She took out a holo-recorder of her own and began recording.

"Ezra. . ."

Several minutes later, they both received a message through their comms.

Back at the hangar a figure in the dark was holding a pair of macrobinoculars that were focused on two people.

"Sabine," said the man, in a voice not his own, "your art sucks. And your aim, don't even get me started on your aim. I've seen stormtroopers aim better. Your skills as a warrior are as scary as a gungan. Karabast, calling you a warrior is an insult to gungans. You absolutely suck as a warrior."

"Ezra," the woman said after the man finished, in a voice not belonging to her, "you suck at being a Jedi. Your aim is worse than a blind stormtrooper. Your warrior skills are about as effective as a child throwing pebbles. You suck as a Jedi, and you are terrible at being a fighter."

After she ended her transmission, they coughed up vocal synthesizers.

"Now," said the man in his normal voice, "we wait."

The two parted ways and the figure lowered the macrobinoculars. The figure was a man. His dark blue eyes couldn't show what he felt. Fear. Anger. Confusion. Understanding. He ran his head through his dark brown hair.

"Kriff," he said, "whatever they were trying to do, they might have just succeeded."

At the stone pylon, Sabine was crushed, hurt, heartbroken, and angry. Through her tears, she saw Ardé walking up.

"What's wrong?" she asked.

"Ezra," she said through her tears, "he. . ." she couldn't even finish.

"Awwww," she replied, "if he said something horrible about you, then maybe you don't deserve him. Maybe. . . you two should fight each other. To vent!"

"F-fine," she said.

Ezra was on his speeder. Also heartbroken. He heard another speeder approaching. He turned around and saw that it was Wedge.

"Hey," Wedge said.

"I'm not in the mood," Ezra said.

"Oh. What's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Sabine?" he asked.

Ezra nodded.

"You know, I could arrange for you to prove your worth to her. Maybe. . . to fight her."

"Fine."

In the hangar, the figure who saw the exchange went to the jungle. Just inside another of the many temples. He took out a holo-transmitter. He input some codes and a Bith appeared with a blue tint.

"Figrin D'an and the Monolnodes?" asked the man

"Yes?" asked the Bith.

"This is Caesar Mackson," he said, "Rebel Commando. I need a bit of assistance."

Cliffhanger!!! As suggested in the title, a part two will come soon.