Hyperdrive Dilemma

The Ghost was leaving Garel's surface after a mission nearly went awry. They did get the supplies for the Rebellion though, which was all that mattered. Unfortunately, during the escape the hyperdrive was damaged. Everyone was tasked with trying to fix it through one means or another. Chopper was with Hera in the cockpit, Ezra and Sabine were trying to connect wires and couplings, and Kanan and Zeb were in the hyperdrive room itself seeing if there was anything they needed to repair there. Because they were still in Empire controlled space they had their sensors on high alert. Of all the jobs, somehow Ezra and Sabine made the easiest of the jobs into the second most hard.

"Are you sure that one goes there?" Sabine asked Ezra after connecting a pair of couplings, "I'm pretty sure that one goes to the turret."

"No," Ezra said, "the turret coupling is that red and white one."

"No, that's the comm system."

"The comm one is the green wire."

"The green one is the life support systems!"

"Life support is the blue one!"

Hera interrupted their quarrel by separating them and taking a look at the coupling systems itself.

"That explains why I can't contact Kanan and Zeb," she said.

"I told you the comm coupling was red and white," Sabine said.

"No," Hera said, "the internal comm is the green wire. I can't reach them because you two can't stop arguing about who's right about which wire."

"Well--"

"There is no passing the blame to anyone." Hera interrupted Sabine, "Just fix this fast. I don't want to be here if the Empire gets here soon."

Almost as soon as she returned to the cockpit, the sensors started screaming a warning of incoming ships. Hera looked out the viewport and saw dozens of pirate ships dropping out of hyperspace. She quickly identified them all as IPV-1 patrol craft and Interceptor frigates with armaments of Z-95 Headhunters and Rihkxyrk assault fighters. She received a transmission from one of the ships.

"Attention, Corellian VCX 100," said a gruff voice, "this is Black Sun. Prepare to be boarded."

"Ezra, Sabine," Hera shouted, "get the couplings repaired now!"

The sensors screamed with even more ships coming out of hyperspace. From just behind the Black Sun fleet. They dropped and the sensors indicated their shields were up. Instead of falling into formation with the other ships they opened fire on them, much to the confusion of Hera. Not too long after the fleets started fighting each other, Ezra and Sabine walked into the cockpit.

"All the couplings are in place," Ezra said, "are they almost done fixing the hyperdrive?"

Hera tapped the internal comm.

"Kanan," she said, "how's it coming? Are we able to jump to lightspeed?"

"It's hit or miss," came the reply, "to completely fix the hyperdrive we need to get to Yavin. As it is we can do maybe three jumps if we're lucky."

"Chopper," Hera said, "get the coordinates ready while I guide us through this battle. Ezra, in the nose gun, Sabine, you're on the turret."

"Do we know who's fighting the Black Sun?" Sabine asked after she got into the turret.

"Could be anyone," Hera replied, "the Pykes, Crimson Dawn, the Hutts, the Zann Consortium, the Guavian Death Gang, Kanjiklub, I have no clue."

"Well I can cut that list in half. According to Ketsu, Black Sun has an alliance with the Pyke Syndicate, Crimson Dawn, and the Hutt Clans."

The Ghost flew around the ships to the outskirts of the battle.  As soon as they were clear, Hera hit the hyperdrive.

Only for it to sputter and give out.

"I told you the hyperdrive coupling was--" Sabine began to shout to Ezra.

"HE PUT THE COUPLINGS TOGETHER CORRECTLY!!!" Hera shouted cutting her off, "We need to return to Garel and make repairs there! And maybe, just maybe, you two can stop fighting like a married couple!"

They began shouting their protests about their arguing, but they fell on deaf ears. Chopper, however, wouldn't be so quick to forget. The Ghost turned around and flew back to Garel's surface. Hera decided to land several miles away from town to ensure nobody from the Empire came knocking. Hera and Chopper walked out of the cockpit and glanced at the couplings. Yes, all of them were properly connected, so what was eating Sabine? She continued to the hyperdrive room and saw just how bad the damage really was.

"Chop," she said, "what's the damage?"

He plugged in and analyzed the hyperdrive.

"Several burnt out power cells," he beeped, "pulverized positive and negative power couplings beyond where the lovebirds were working, fuel is low, and it looks like the ignition is flooded. Probably a valve problem."

"That's a long list. Any other problems?"

"Two lovebirds who can't see how right for each other they are, since they argue over simple things--"

"I meant in the ship's internal systems," she interrupted, "not with the crew."

"I know, I'm just teasing. Fuel levels are fine, comms aren't damaged, power is good, life support systems functioning... looks like everything else is fine."

"Great. Let's see if we can't figure out what's going on between them."

"How?"

"They are going to fix the hyperdrive while the rest of us are getting the parts."

Obviously, yes, there's a part 2 coming up.