Hyperdrive Dilemma pt. 2

Ezra and Sabine argued about who was at fault for the hyperdrive giving out. Ezra was saying that the hyperdrive itself was busted while Sabine was stubbornly saying that he connected something wrong. They got to the hyperdrive room where Hera, Zeb, Kanan, and Chopper were.

"Hera," Sabine said, "you saw the coupling connectors. How many of them were mismatched?"

"Exactly zero," she said, "listen, both of you: we're going into town to grab parts necessary to fix the hyperdrive. By the time we get back, I expect all the damaged components to be out and ready to be scrapped."

"How bad is the damage?" Ezra asked.

"Burnt out power cells," Kanan said, "pulverized couplings farther away from where you were working, and the ignition is flooded."

The four left leaving the two alone.

"Come on," Sabine said, "someone has to make sure you do everything right."

"Why do you think I can't handle it?" Ezra asked, "I know what I'm doing. Why don't you trust me?"

"Because I've been on this ship longer, Ezra. I'm a mechanic. You were lucky with the power and thermal couplings, but that and the Force are all that you seem to have going for you."

"Fine. You're the mechanic, take the hyperdrive out, remove the power cells, and disconnect the fuel line while I remove the burnt out coupling."

They separated in a huff. He went to where he connected the couplings and followed them closer to the hyperdrive, removing panels to follow the lines. Eventually he came across the pulverized coupling and removed it. He made his way back to the room and placed the power coupling on the floor. Sabine was focusing on still trying to remove the hyperdrive. She hadn't made any progress at all. Shaking his head, Ezra went to a panel near the hyperdrive and tapped a few buttons. The hyperdrive unlocked and hissed. Sabine jumped back. The hyperdrive slowly came out of its secure place and hovered over the floor.

Before Ezra could say a thing, Sabine put her hand up. She didn't want to hear it. Ezra closed off the fuel line and removed it from the hyperdrive, allowing the ignition to drain. Sabine crawled on top of the hyperdrive to remove the dead power cells. Ezra jumped up next to her and began helping her remove power cells.

"Ezra," she said, really annoyed, turning her full attention to him, "I've got this. Why don't you go--"

Ezra noticed the power cell she was trying to remove was a fully charged one. And she wasn't removing it correctly: it was about to rupture. Without thinking too much, Ezra shoved her off with the Force, moments before the power cell blew up. The force of the blast sent him out of the Ghost and onto the ground.

"EZRA!!!" She shouted with concern.

She ran out of the ship and over to him. She crouched beside him and felt for a pulse. It was there, but faint. She dragged him back into the ship. Although her mind told her to get back to work on the hyperdrive, her instincts told her to stay with Ezra. She rushed to grab a med-kit. She got back an saw on the horizon, the Phantom returning from the town. She left the kit there and ran to the docking port where they would be getting out. Hera was the first one out and exactly who she was looking for.

"HERA!" She said in panic, "I NEED HELP! IT'S EZRA!"

They all ran down to the hyperdrive room and saw him.

"What happened?" Hera said.

"I was trying to remove a power cell. I was annoyed at how good he seemed at everything he was doing that I didn't notice that the one I grabbed was fully charged. I wasn't removing it correctly either, and before it blew up, he pushed me off of the hyperdrive."

"Get him to the medical bay. Chop, take care of the hyperdrive fixes."

Chopper beeped his confirmation. Hera and Sabine carried Ezra to the medical bay. Zeb and Kanan finished the repairs on the hyperdrive and the Ghost took off. They got back into space and surd enough, the Black Sun was still fighting the other fleet. They got to the other side of the battle and jumped into hyperspace. Sabine remained by Ezra's side during the escape. The door opened a few minutes after they jumped into hyperspace.

"I don't get it," Zeb said, "a few hours ago, he and you were at each other's throats and now you're really sympathetic. One second you want him gone, the next you want him to stay. Why?"

Sabine was silent. She couldn't pinpoint why at all. She even told him as much. He left not too long after. Sabine took a very profound look at herself and Ezra. He had grown a lot. She hadn't grown that much. That was what she decided it came down to. To her it was only yesterday that he was flirting badly, and now... he wasn't. Only yesterday he was self centered, unwilling to risk a half credit, let alone his life, for anybody. Now, he just put his own life on the line for her sake. She realized that he wouldn't do it for just anyone, but for those he loved. She smiled a little at him. According to the medical scan he would live, he would just be unconscious for a few hours.

"I should be lucky to be loved by you," she said, "cyra'ika."

She kissed his forehead and began to leave the room. She looked back and saw a smile growing on his face.

Fin. Any idea suggestions? I am seriously open for them.