Chapter 4 : Caught

Later that day I awoke in an unfamiliar room that was larger than the one I previously had. I frantically looked around to see where I was, my little amount of clothes I owned lay in a neat pile on the night table beside me. I attempted to raise my head, the throbbing pain that came with me prevented anymore movement.

A few minutes later a few short raps sounded throughout my room. I cautiously opened the door to see who could be knocking. There stood Sebastian waiting to come in. "Hello my Luna," he greeted.

"What happened?" I groaned, pressing my hand against my forehead. "And please, just keep calling my Charlotte. I hate the formalities."

"Well, Charlotte, after the little incident you had at the cliff, it seems to me you hit your head way too hard on the ground. In short, you almost gave yourself a concussion."

"He should've just let me fall," I said irritably in a low whisper.

Sebastian squeezed his eyes shut, rubbing his temples. "Please don't talk like that. We only want the best for you."

I scoffed, "Oh, I didn't know that slapping me and throwing me around is now considered what's best for me? You two don't get to decide that, what he did was wrong and I can't believe you're siding with him!"

I wasn't sure where this sudden confidence was coming from, at he rogue pack, if I raised my voice even above a normal level, they would starve me for at least a week in solitary confinement.

My sudden anger must've thrown him off guard. "Listen, I am beyond pissed off with him right now too. But you have to understand that he's never had a mate before and frankly, I don't think he was ever expecting to find once. Especially not after this long."

"I've never had a mate before either! But you don't see me doing half the things he's done, do you? You can't even blame me for being scared of him at his point."

"Charlotte," Sebastian began.

"No. I don't want to talk about him anymore." I said, "Now would you care to explain how I got here?"

"Once we got back to the pack house, the 'acclaimed asshole' and I had a long conversation about everything that's been going on. We both agreed that it's safest to have you closer to our rooms, in case anything happens."

He sighed, leaning against the doorframe. "Listen, he's not that bad once you get to know him." Before I could interject, he held up a hand to pause me. "I know, it's not an excuse for treating you like that. Trust me, I've already given him hell for it."

"But please," He begged, "don't give up on him yet."

I exhaled shakily, "I just need space." I said. He nodded, leaving the room without another word.

****

Creaking the door open slowly, I silently snuck out, careful not to wake up anybody. Looking around, I saw a staircase down the hall that I was sure led to the main floor of the pack house.

Upon finding the kitchen, my objective became finding something to eat again without getting caught this time.

I opened the refrigerator slowly, making as little noise as humanly possible. Peering inside, I saw an abundance of food. I gingerly picked out an apple or two, anything that could hold me over until my next meal.

I shut the door softly, tucking the apples beneath my arm as I turned to exit the spotless kitchen.

"What do you think you're doing?" A deep voice startled me, the two apples falling to the ground with a loud thud.

I scrambled to pick up the fruit, "I-I a-am so sorry." I muttered, not looking him in the eyes.

"Look at me," He said, his tone impassive. His hand went to lift my chin and I flinched back, the feeling not so foreign. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Our eyes met, his swarming with confusion. "It's too late for that," I said simply before heading back upstairs as quickly as I came.