Ultimate

A knock on the art room door took me out of my trance, "Who is it?" I called, setting my paintbrushes down beside my easel.

"Isaac," His voice responded, opening the door cautiously, he stepped inside closing it behind him. "We need to talk." At his words, a feeling of unease settled in the depths of my stomach.

Wiping my hands on the front of my already paint-stained pants, I walked over to him and stood beside him, confusion etched on my face. "You're scaring me, did something happen?" I asked, making him shrug sheepishly.

"I haven't been completely honest with you Charlie," He began, making my heart drop, "Remember when I came looking for you and got harassed by your boy-toy?" He asked, making me nod silently in response.

"I came that day to tell you something, something important."

"Spit it out already," I said frustratedly.

"You're an elemental," He said bluntly, making me laugh dryly in response. "I'm not joking, Charlotte, you are." He said, making my chuckles waver.

"What the heck is that supposed to mean? And how am I supposed to believe you, there's no proof." I said, trying to convince myself he was wrong, when deep down something was nagging at me to believe him.

"You've been hunted all your life Charlotte, why do you think you were never allowed into the woods? People were after you, that's why you were taken." Everything my brother was saying seemed to click and nervousness began to creep into my bones.

"So you're saying, I have powers?" I asked hesitantly, playing with the hem of Kayden's shirt I was wearing.

"Give me that cup," He asked suddenly, I picked it up and handed it too him, an odd look on my face. He took my water cup and immediately splashed it towards me, making me gasp in surprise. In less than a second the water became suspended mid air and frozen, shattering into fragments as it hit the floor.

"What the--" I said, dumbfounded.

He smirked and cocked his head to the side, "Believe me now? It's in our genetics."

Sputtering, I said, "Well this doesn't mean I have it, I've never done anything like that. And how come you're telling me this just now?" I said accusingly.

"You've always been able to do this Charlie, you've just never learned." He replied. "I waited so long because I knew you were having a hard time and wouldn't be ready for everything I'm about to drop on you."

"Does this mean your kids--" I started before being abruptly cut off.

"No, it skips a generation." He clarified, making me nod slowly. His eyes began to wander around my room until they settled on one of my paintings, one that I forgot I even made.

Picking it up in his hands, he studied it carefully, shock beginning to form on his face. "Oh Goddess, this is going to be fun." He said, a surprised chuckle resounding across the room.

"What?" I demanded.

Isaac took the canvas and turned my painting over so I could see it. It was a painting of distant trees ablaze, an overflowing river, a tornado, and a cracked yet agape fault line. I looked it carefully, not seeing his point.

"You're an Ultimate."

****

Dead silence.

"I'm a what!?" I shouted, catching him off guard. He quickly shushed me and looked around sheepishly. I quickly apologized and quieted my voice. "I'm a what?" I whisper yelled, making him roll his eyes.

"You have control over all four elements." He explained, making my eyes widen twice their original size.

"How do you know?" I asked, studying him carefully.

"Do you know why you painted this?" He asked, making me shrug in response, "It was your subconscious dummy, this was your answer."

"How do I use my 'powers'? If I'm an Ultimate shouldn't it be easy?" I asked.

"Here, look at this cup and focus all your attention on it, try to use your energy." Confused, I did as he said and almost immediately, the cup caught fire. He let out a string of curses and blew out the flame quickly. "Damn I did not expect you to be this fast." He muttered to himself.

"Okay then," He said, "Now, look at the cup and picture water flowing." He said, I nodded in response.

Closing my eyes, I pictured pouring rain and when I opened them, my brother was drenched in water, "We have work to do." He said as I laughed nervously.