Chapter 23 : Slowly

I was sitting cross legged on my stool, finishing up a painting once Kayden entered the room. His dark hair was disheveled and his eyes seemed to glow under the dim lighting. "I'm so sorry I couldn't make it back in time for dinner, the meeting went long and I couldn't—"

"It's okay," I said softly, cutting him off, "I don't mind, you have a job to do. It shouldn't be all about me." My hand continued to add the slightest of details to the canvas, making it almost perfect.

"Are you sure?" I nodded and hummed in response. I felt his arms wrap around me from behind and he gave me a kiss on the cheek, "Thank you Charlotte."

"What's with the change in attitude? You're being so nice all of a sudden." I said, raising my eyebrow in suspicion. He sat on the edge of his bed and ran his hand through his hair, sighing deeply. I paused what I was doing in order to pay attention. I had a feeling I wouldn't like what he was about to say.

"Well you see," He began, "My parents are coming by tomorrow and they don't know I've found my mate yet." I groaned audibly, "That's not even the best part. My mom is a bit crazy and the first thing she's gonna do is plan your Luna ceremony. Do you think you'll be up for it?"

"I don't know Kayden," My eyebrows scrunched in thought, "Are we even ready for that? We haven't even gotten to any of the mating rituals because of all my drama." I felt kind of guilty holding this all off for so long. If we had both been less stubborn from the beginning this would've been much easier to think about. Our relationship as true mates has barely just begun after the continuous roadblocks we've faced.

"Don't worry about that. I don't blame you for any of it. I just don't want you to feel so attacked when my parents come in tomorrow." He said tiredly. I set down my painting supplies and walked over to him, slowly dragging a light hand through his soft hair. "I'll be ready for them." I said slowly.

"Goddess, you're the best." He said with a smile, "No one else would be up for the bubbling terror that is my mom and dad." I laughed at his response and watched as his body visibly relaxed at my touch. Due to so much time being passed since our wolves first came in contact, it's become harder and harder to resist each other.

Our close proximity was driving my wolf crazy, and it took every bit of self discipline within me to stop myself from doing something I'd regret. If only he knew how badly I wanted to kiss him right now.

"Kayden?" I asked

"Yes, love?"

I nervously looped my arms around his neck. "May I kiss you, pretty please?"

Kayden looked up at me, "I thought you—"

"Forget what I said before. But right now, I want to kiss you. Is that alright?" I asked, my tone hopeful.

A happy grin broke out on his face, "Initiative, I like that." He chuckled, his arms wrapping firmly around my waist.

"It's a yes or no question, you tease."

He sighed dramatically, "Well in that case, my answer is y—"

Before he could even finish the rest of his sentence, I leaned forward, pressing my lips to his. I could feel his small smile, clearly happy with himself for getting me so impatient.

Responding almost instantly, he lowered himself back onto the bed, bringing me with him. Not once did our lips separate as he flipped us over, him now pressing down on me, our bodies molding perfectly.

Reluctantly, he pulled away, "You are so amazing," Kayden breathed against my lips before dipping down once more to capture them with his.